[-empyre-] Critical policy and postcolonial makers

Timothy Conway Murray tcm1 at cornell.edu
Wed Apr 9 03:24:42 EST 2014

Hey, everyone,

What a wonderful series of posts this week from Diana, Marcus, both
Illinois Kevins, and Danny, all which touch similarly on challenges of
translating digital making via self-organized networks that reshape or
deconstruct technology for the sake of social transformation.  I am
particularly struck by the commonality of their approaches to remaking
technology within the varying contexts of indigenous cultures and/or the
attempt to address social issues faced by economically challenged
populations through the mechanisms of public policy and/or independent
networks.  Many of us are likely to appreciate the pratical impact of such
interventions when we cruise the artist demos at HASTAC Peru later in the
month.

For now, I'D love to hear even more from you about the specific projects
in which you're involved.  Renate and I enjoyed the opportunity of
spending a brief amount of time with Diana in Chiapas where she worked
frequently with the Mayan Women's theatre collective, FOMMA, which also
hosted digital making workshops that have been discussed by various
-empyre- members over the years (my recollection is that Zach Blas and
Micha Cardenas both discussed their participation in FOMMA workshops in
posts for a few years back).  Looking at the Hemi website, Diana, if, as
it appears, the collaboration between FOMMA and Hemi has ended or
transformed (?), I'm wondering whether this has any bearing on the
technology workshops or whether they continue under FOMMA's guidance.  I
remember fondly how pleased Renate was to collaborate with her FOMMA hosts
on her internet/installation piece while she was there (she might not mind
by my mentioning that she's reinventing that project for HASTAC Peru).
And Marcus, your description of metarecycling in Brazilian communities
with limited access to communication technologies aligns your post with
Diana's Hemi project and the concerns raised earlier in the week by Danny.
 Would you mind expounding of the nature of your own projects in relation
to some of those communities?

Thanks for everyone sharing your further thoughts and even your concerns!

Best,
Tim