[-empyre-] On Making (Critical) Decisions from Romania to China to Latin America to the US

Timothy Conway Murray tcm1 at cornell.edu
Sun Apr 13 13:05:07 EST 2014

Hi, Michael,

That's so interesting that you've chosen to point our conversation toward
dss and critical decision making.   This emphasis on criticality seems to
be the common thread of this week's first posts by our featured guests.

What's fascinating to me is how our other guests of the week have
highlighted concrete examples of how critical decision making has shaped
their critical media interventions.  Calin writes of how his early
collaborations with cinema ikon "sought to (ironically) dismantle the
manipulative strategies of the national media."  In her welcome post from
China, Denisa hails the counter movement of the Shanzhai phone hackers to
"strengthen the resilience and creativity of the maker movement as a new
force ignoring common geopolitical divisions and embracing any possibility
for grassroots innovation." And Victoria and Joyce shape a game that
critiques "the culture of psychological diagnosis and treatment within the
context of a highly mediated consumer culture that often produces the ills
it purports to treat."

Picking up on Michael's emphasis on critical decision making, I'm
wondering if everyone else would want to highlight not simply how critique
functions in their work but how also critique itself might be shaped by
the critical decision making and dss behind your projects.

Thanks for sharing such fascinating and edgy projects with our community.
Although your posts highlight various international efforts, ranging from
Romania and China to the US, I'm wondering also how your concerns about
"international" collaboration via Kinema Ikon, hacker groups or HASTAC
might also flavor your decision making.

Thanks so much.

Tim