[-empyre-] from 5th Avenue New York City

Alan Sondheim sondheim at gmail.com
Sat Dec 6 12:18:52 EST 2014

HELLO?  What about the thousands of young and dis-engranchised who for
the past three nights around the US  have been shouting out to be
heard about the injustices that have manifested themselves over the
past several weeks.

-- But we're in Rhode Island where there are protests which are fantastic,
everywhere here downtown - but the fact there are jobs, that's good, and
your HELLO? does an injustice to people who can't find work, can't get
food, can't get shelter; in Rhode Island we have the nation's highest or
second-highest unemployment, and this brings real pain to the
disenfranchised, in particular to people of color - any employment news
like this is good news here, and one social injustice does not negate
another which might be, somewhat barely, addressed.
- Alan

On Fri, Dec 5, 2014 at 7:59 PM, Renate Ferro <renateferro at gmail.com> wrote:

> It is raining here in New York City.  Tim Murray and I just joined
> hundreds of protestors who marched down 5th Avenue, one of the most
> tourist, commodified streets in the world.  Past the Rockefeller
> Center Christmas tree decorated in lights galore hundreds of tourists
> stood in line to watch on one side the lit tree and the other side a
> light/video show on the facade of Saks Fifth Avenue.  Loud speakers
> filled the block and adjacent streets with holiday music.  Disrupting
> that scene hundreds of what I noted as young activists marched
> directly down the side walks of this holiday scene shouting "Hands Up,
> Don't Shoot,"  "I can't breathe," and other chants to stop shoppers in
> their tracks.  Shoppers had two choices:  to clear out of the way for
> protestors or to join.
>
> Right now in Macy's protestors move into the inside of the shopping
> season, lay down and conduct a "die in."
>
> I find it stunning (has to be another word) that reflects the
> confusion of the  junta-postion between a commodity driven season and
> a politically driven movement that collides head to head.  How crazy
> is it that just moments before when I opened my email via the smart
> phone I was using to video the moment, the White House sent out this
> message:
>
> "We've been watching the economy steadily improve for years, but today
> there's new reason to really zoom in on that progress. Consider this:
> Last month, American businesses created 314,000 jobs, extending the
> longest streak of job growth on record. That's 10.9 million jobs added
> over the last 57 straight months.
> Let's put that in perspective: With 2.6 million jobs created in the
> first 11 months of the year, we've already added more jobs in 2014
> than in any entire year since the late 1990s.
> It's been a long road to recovery since the Great Recession. And while
> there's more work to do, America is outpacing much of the world in
> putting people back to work.
> Take a look at how far our economy has come since President Obama took
> office -- then share the facts with everyone who needs to know:"
>
> HELLO?  What about the thousands of young and dis-engranchised who for
> the past three nights around the US  have been shouting out to be
> heard about the injustices that have manifested themselves over the
> past several weeks.
>
> World-wide ordinary people from Hong Kong to Mexico to the US are
> shouting out as well about other injustices.  Can we take a moment to
> reflect on how these movements may be organically generating?  How
> does social media, list serves, networked media enable movements such
> as these? What else may be inspiring these gestures of resistance.  I
> am looking forward to speaking to all of you now but for now I have to
> run.
>
> Renate Ferro (and Tim Murray from NYC)
> http://empyre.library.cornell.edu

718-813-3285*