[-empyre-] Lobal Gestures

Ricardo Dominguez rrdominguez at ucsd.edu
Wed Dec 10 22:00:23 EST 2014

Hola Tod at s,

Thanks for inviting me to participate and meditate on local/global
platforms of care, resistance, and activation. Especially in terms of the
back and forth quality of activist real-bodies in the streets and
data-bodies interacting with one another and amplifying one another. But
for the moment I would like to make a more general presentation on the
idea of lobal gestures.

One of the main projects of Electronic Disturbance Theater 1.0/2.0 and
b.a.n.g. lab is that neoliberalism(s) often function within the trajectory
of the glocal—that is transnational corporations parachute their agendas,
economies, stores, on a global level to the local level. Starbucks,
McDonalds, they're like the cathedrals of old; they are centers of command
and control on a glocal level. So the gestures that we have participated
in might be named or located around what we name the lobal, and the lobal
isn't about trying to establish a field of homogeneity, say, like
McDonalds’s golden arches, but more specifically to share a condition of
the local to local, as a peer-to-peer gesture, on a global scale.

This is perhaps not so much about materialization of the social-as-copy,
but a conceptual sharing of a politics of the question. For instance, we
could look at the Zapatistas as a lobal network that spreads a question
about the nature of what a local in response might be to the golden arches
that neoliberalism(s) drop on us and embed into the local space-time
continuum. Each response is different for each locality. The local
response in San Diego, California to this question is different than the
one in Chiapas in terms of seeking alternative forms of living beyond
“capitalist realism(s).”

Then (and still today) we are faced with the glocal movements of
neoliberalism(s), so we had to imagine how we could, on a local level,
respond to, trespass, or access conflicts transpiring globally. So those
involved in the Zapatistas movement would say, “We share peer-to-peer the
politics of the question: ‘what are savage neoliberalism(s) doing where
you are?’” But the response or the tactics of both creative resistance or,
for us, of disturbance, would be different, because what happens in San
Francisco, what happens in Chiapas, or what happens in Mumbai has a
material difference on the local level.

So lobalism(s) share the politics of the question of what one can access,
what one can trespass, disturb, and manifest as alternative conditions
that oppose glocal neoliberalisms’ answers to every question and problem.
Along with the Zapatistas and other activists, we contend that another
world is possible beyond the deep state of glocal neoliberalism(s), and we
continue to ask, “How can one disturb and shift the flows of capitalist
realism in one’s neighborhood?”

--
Ricardo Dominguez
Associate Professor