[-empyre-] Part 1: Social Media Use across Campaigns for Social Justice

mrahul at sas.upenn.edu mrahul at sas.upenn.edu
Thu Dec 11 01:51:08 EST 2014

Hi All,

The discussion on Empyre about social media and social justice has
been moving and invigorating. At a recent Media Activism conference I
attended at Penn, scholars and activists reminded us that without
being platform-centric, we must first pay attention to how social
movement organizers use media in different contexts. That said, the
conference participants also noted that different platforms offer
different affordances, and hence their specificity needs to be
attended to. Finally, information sharing while organizing or
promoting a social justice campaign rarely happens through just one
social media platform, so tracing cross-platform flows of rumor and
news is crucial. Along with flows, Tim and Renate invite us to think
of interfaces (and algorithms supporting them), and their
contributions to social struggle. Keeping these four dimensions in
mind, I offer brief vignettes from three campaigns/movements for
social change in India and their use of social media. I have been
interacting with journalists and activists engaged in environmental
debates in India, and for some of the stories that follow, I draw from
their insights. The post is in two parts.

Unprecedented use of Twitter was seen during the street protests in
New Delhi in late December 2012 following the gang rape of a 23 year
old woman, Nirbhaya, in the Indian capital. Protestors called for
proper functioning of police and the judicial system. A stream of live
tweets?many including images through Twitpic?captured (documented) the
protests and police brutality on protestors. Since the administration
restricted subway service from suburbs to the city center (Raisina
Hill, India Gate), where the protests unfolded, the protestors used
social media to co-ordinate ways of reaching protest sites. The
successful use of Twitter owed much to the urban middle-class
character of protests and it did matter that the public spaces of
protest were in New Delhi, often the cynosure for ?mainstream? media
as well.

The use of social media is somewhat different if we consider the
People?s Movement against Nuclear Energy (PMANE) in India. The uranium
mines and construction sites of nuclear reactors are in rural areas,
and thus incidents of police repression against local communities and
anti-nuke agitators often take place in rural locations. Following the
Fukushima catastrophe, amidst protests by nearby fishermen about the
effects of increasing radiation levels on their lives and livelihood,
construction work at the Koodankulam nuclear power plant in Tamil Nadu
(South India) came to a halt in September, 2011. Soon after, police
atrocities began. There were live tweets from Koodankulam, but
Facebook groups formed by PMANE  were more active than Twitter,
according to activists I conversed with. Facebook offered a wider
space for local fishermen and fisherwomen groups to express themselves
in their language Tamil. Another popular tactic for local community
members in Koodankulam was smsing (texting) metropolitan activists (in
cities like Delhi and Chennai) about fasting events and police firing,
which were then timestamped and put on advocacy blogs and websites
such as Chai Kadai and DiaNuke.org (for some time, electricity supply
in the Koodankulam region was also cut off). This circulation on
various social media platforms lead to both established media houses
as well as civil society members highlighting the issue and calling on
administrators to take action.

                                   [End of Part I]

Rahul Mukherjee
Assistant Professor, Television and New Media Studies
Cinema Studies Program, Department of English
University of Pennsylvania