[-empyre-] Transparent gestures/Opaque gestures

mrahul at sas.upenn.edu mrahul at sas.upenn.edu
Sun Dec 14 12:30:51 EST 2014

Thanks, Ricardo, for sharing these tools, initiatives, and gestures. I
admire your generosity in appreciating macro-critiques but at the same
time avoiding some of their sweeping generalizations by your grounded
theorizations and engagements with local situated experimental
activist-art practices.  Some of the dissident
journalists/bloggers/artists outside the United States, in Africa and
South Asia, I have met over the years, are cognizant of how their
goals of using social media and mobile technologies at a micro-scale
during contingent circumstances do completely vary in ideologies from
the neoliberal subjectivities that the social media companies want to
create. It is somewhat ironical when, at times, activists advocating
for political reform and human rights through social media/blogs in
Africa and South Asia find themselves embedded in funding structures
of NGOs who in turn are related to neoliberal discourses/capital.
These are challenges that have to be overcome. At other times,
connecting local resistances together does not seem to lead to a
scaling up, but as you note, local particularities/singularities do
not need to (should not) be stepped on for the sake of finding global
scale answers.  In any case, as you note, complete withdrawal on the
part of dissident/creative scholars-activists-artists cannot be an
answer, and I agree, that ways will(have to) be found.

Acts of shifting and disturbing state and capital emerge in Richard
Grusin?s discussions of roadblocks and disrupting network service, if
I am reading correctly, as ways of thinking of premediation as force
of resistance. His influential conceptualizations of ((re)mediation
and) premediation also help to problematize the tendencies to
ontologically fix social media as being of a particular kind.  For
some reason, I feel we have discussed more about social media (and the
mutual imbrication of social media and social justice as well) than
social justice (I maybe wrong about this feeling). I understand we
have to think relationally here. And so, here is a question I have
been pondering: If as some critics note, social media help the status
quo to accumulate (more and more) social capital as much as they allow
the ?marginals? to amplify their resistance (sometimes resistance is
curbed or rendered invisible online too) against brutalities,
inequities, and injustice; what is social justice, and what is its
relationship to social capital?

Thanks again, rahul