[-empyre-] empyre Digest, Vol 111, Issue 5

micha cárdenas mmcarden at usc.edu
Mon Feb 10 08:03:06 EST 2014

Thanks for an interesting discussion topic this month!

I agree with your assessment that this limited configuration of the
post-digital is already divorced from any real politics of difference or
antagonism and so yes it is similar to relational aesthetics. In contrast,
my own formulation of the post digital, which I presented at the
Transmediale phd symposium in 2012 is centered in queer and trans women of
color's political and aesthetic practices. The horizon for the post-digital
isn't hipsters, reddit and google, as in Florian Cramer's essay "What is
post-digital?", it is a reconsideration of thought and communication
outside of the bounds of western conceptions of knowledge and rationality.

You can read an essay version of what I presented at the #BWPWAP
transmediale symposium here, where I list a few examples of aesthetic works
that may be understood as post-digital:

http://median.newmediacaucus.org/caa-conference-edition-2013/local-autonomy-networks-post-digital-networks-post-corporate-communications/

(a short version is in the 2013 edition of APRJA:
http://www.aprja.net/?page_id=46)

and a video of me giving this as a keynote at the Dark Side of the Digital
conference is here:

http://transreal.org/talks-and-interviews/

The writers for the post-digital research issue of APRJA articulate
conceptions of politics that completely fail to address the importance of
moving on from western systems of knowledge that are embodied in the
digital, which is unsurprising considering their own apparent subject
positions. For example, in The Archive and the Repertoire, Diana Taylor has
written extensively on the ways that colonial regimes insisted on writing
as the only legitimate form of knowledge as a way to disempower colonized
subjects, and digital systems of storage reproduce that hierarchy by
eschewing embodied and emotional knowledge that is not reproducible through
digital media.

thank you,

  micha

On Sun, Feb 9, 2014 at 1:44 PM, Michael Dieter <M.J.Dieter at uva.nl> wrote:

> Something else I want to ask about.
>
> This is the definition that the Post-Digital Research group settled on
> for their publication:
>
> "Post-digital, once understood as a critical reflection of "digital"
> aesthetic immaterialism, now describes the messy and paradoxical
> condition of art and media after digital technology revolutions.
> "Post-digital" neither recognizes the distinction between "old" and
> "new" media, nor ideological affirmation of the one or the other. It
> merges "old" and "new", often applying network cultural
> experimentation to analog technologies which it re-investigates and
> re-uses. It tends to focus on the experiential rather than the
> conceptual. It looks for DIY agency outside totalitarian innovation
> ideology, and for networking off big data capitalism. At the same
> time, it already has become commercialized."
>
> I'm curious about the emphasis here on the experiential, rather than
> the conceptual. Why emphasize one over the other in this way? What
> works or practices did the group have in mind? In a weird way, this
> description actually reminds me of something like relational
> aesthetics.
>
> --
> Michael Dieter
> Lecturer
> Media Studies
> The University of Amsterdam
> Turfdraagsterpad 9
> 1012 XT Amsterdam
> http://home.medewerker.uva.nl/m.j.dieter/

micha cárdenas

http://michacardenas.org
http://twitter.com/michacardenas
http://femmedisturbance.tumblr.com

International Trans Women of Color Network Gathering
June 19, 2014, Detroit, Allied Media Conference

https://twitter.com/twocamc
http://international-twoc-gathering.tumblr.com/
https://www.facebook.com/international.twoc.gathering