[-empyre-] HYBRID BOOKWORK, Week Two - Paradoxical Publishing, Postmedia, Critical Aesthetics

verlag at traumawien.at verlag at traumawien.at
Sat Feb 15 21:48:33 EST 2014

1 Literary Trojan Horses
2 Augmented Reality
3 Post-Digital
4 Print on Demand

1 Since our Ghostwriters (
http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20120613/03584719300/amazon-deletes-ebooks-automatically-generated-youtube-comments-leaving-many-questions-unanswered.shtml)
Intervention we put a great effort in manipulating huge bunchs of text
algorithmically. During the whole last year we have been working on an
algorithm to contaminate contents by subversively contaminatig them with
advertising. This is focused on german ebook piracy mechanisms which turn
ot to be by far most progressive experiments in terms of distribution. Just
for the case as they also constantly invent alternative economic systems,
always on nomadic moves, where they curate contents, as opposed to raw
bunches of material like all german bestellers at once like this 1 >
http://thepiratebay.se/torrent/9150293/42.000_deutsche_epub_eBooks_(42.740_eBooks_komplettes_Boox.to-Ar[decide
if they are what they are labeled, by your self]. If you are
interested, a driving force behind ever changing 'domains of distribution'
here has been and still is 'spiegelbest', here is an essential interview
with him > http://traumawien.at/stuff/texts/interview-mit-einem-buchpiraten/,
also he has a blog where he writes about where the scene locates at the
moment. They truly are always on the move, and they are huge and that s why
i wonder why this discussion is so much skipped in publishing.

2 Augmented Reality. To me AR still is the most close to working science
fiction concept in digital and i am highly fascinated thinking about it. To
put it short > as long as we need our hands for computers, we'll have to
wait, and no, i don't like 'glasses'. We have been greatly influenced here
by the fantastic Mez Breeze Blog Augmentology which stopped in 2010 >
http://arsvirtuafoundation.org/research/
We are open to any collaborations here. Please contact. We have our own
software and some Scheme concepts. AR does need a lot of work.

3 Post-Digital. After reading the mails from last week i asked my friend
about 'post-digital' and he said 'Alzheimers'. I thought this was
something, as it brought up the human connection, which i completely miss
in your notes. Also, it could be turned in as the 'space left by the
absence of the digital' - a generative amnesia, sort of. Unlearning
learning, Tech drugs and the Kurzweil Cyborg, all the archives etc come in
here. Just my thoughts without juggle-stretch terms too much.

4 Pod. We, of course, used pod in the beginning for most of the reasons
Domenico listed. Still, in June 2012, when Amazon terminated our Accounts
life-long because of the 'Ghostwriters' Intervention, we decided to not use
pod (and it's Amazon gateway) anymore and instead have our books printed
locally, in limited runs of 50-100. Our orderings through Lulu where really
marginal and their quality was just bad. Not to mention tax and check
issues with the US you suddenly have to deal with. To have our backlist (
http://traumawien.at/prints/) out of print is a thing, nowadays. Sticking
back to great quality prints is also the (.) left by the absence of the
digital and therefore probably post-digital. Our posters, for example, are
printed at a letterpress in St. Gallen. We just want best, long lasting
quality you can get, again. Those products are data carriers to survive.

Don't get me wrong, but it will be true pod if espresso book machines
arrive to print the pdf at the copy shop around the corner.

I am also having problems to use the word book in general for any digital
processes. Just to avoid tedious (especially 'ebook') discussions.

>>> Apologize for my late introduction. I have a familiy emergency here in
switzerland and been offline most of the last week. Also, this is written
from a cafe. Hope to add more to the discussion, later. See you around, L