[-empyre-] No. 1, Day 3, Week 2

John Hopkins jhopkins at neoscenes.net
Fri Jun 13 01:32:07 EST 2014

> On 2014-06-11, at 9:59 PM, Douglas Kahn wrote:

>> >every now and then. (In the intro ESES I state my main reservation with
>> >Kittler on his engineer/inscriptive basis viz. a science/transmission
>> >approach, which means a media theory where 1/2, so to speak, of the
>> >technological base of modern media is missing, and no uncontorted route to
>> >an ecological standing).

A hybrid 'systems' approach will deal with the sustainability, biology, media,
and technology issues quite easily if you include models suggested by the likes
of Howard Odum, Bertalanffy, Kenneth Boulding, Capra, Varela, and so on (see
selected bibliography below). A liberal interpretation of systems ideas can be
quite powerful in interpreting the dynamic of human relation, especially that
mapped over/through techno-social systems. And, if you incorporate an even more
radical dimension to the model -- that of electromagnetic fields/flows (or even
more radical, simply energy flows -- which would include a cosmological/quantum
dimension -- then the discussion can range freely to address most/all(!)
pressing and present issues including sound!

Kittler seemed to me to consider technique before considering the embeddedness
of technique-as-codification-of-social-relation -- perhaps one reason that he
put off North Amurikans...?

my 2-cents for today...

Cheers,
JOhn
--

Bertalanffy, L. von, 1950. An Outline of General System Theory. The British
Journal for the Philosophy of Science, 1(2), pp.134-165.

Boulding, K.E., 1956. General Systems Theory – The Skeleton of Science.
Management Science, 2(3), pp.197-208.

Capra, F., 1997. The Web of Life: a new scientific understanding of living
systems, New York, NY: Anchor Books.

Hammond, D., 2003. The Science of Synthesis: Exploring the social implications
of general systems theory, Boulder, CO: University Press of Colorado.

Kleidon, A. & Lorenz, R., 2005. Entropy Production by Earth System Processes. In
Non-equilibrium Thermodynamics and the Production of Entropy: Life, Earth, and
Beyond. Berlin: Springer-Verlag.

Koizumi, T., 1997. Kata and Kata-Thinking in Eastern and Western Thought. In G.
Lasker, ed. The Proceedings of InterSymp ’97. Windsor, Ontario, Canada:
International Institute for Advanced Studies in Systems Research and
Cybernetics, pp. 37-41.

Miller, J., 1995. Living systems, Niwot, CO: University Press of Colorado.

Odum, H.T., 1994. Ecological and General Systems: an introduction to systems
ecology Rev. ed., Niwot, CO: University Press of Colorado.

Odum, H.T., 2007. Environment, Power, and Society for the Twenty-First Century –
The Hierarchy of Energy, New York, NY: Columbia University Press.

Varela, F., Maturana, H.R. & Uribe, R., 1974. Autopoiesis: The Organization of
Living Systems, Its Characteristics and a Model. BioSystems, 5(1974), pp.187-196.

Dr. John Hopkins, BSc, MFA, PhD
taking Manhattan as Berlin isn't possible right now
http://tech-no-mad.net/blog/