[-empyre-] No. 1, Day 4, Week 2

Marcus Boon mboon at yorku.ca
Sat Jun 14 02:07:43 EST 2014

Sorry for the slow response here ... I gave a talk on Burroughs and shamanism at a workshop on General Idea, and yesterday was a long day!

Yes, a lot of different threads.  I was able to read further chunks of Earth Sound, Earth Signal en route yesterday ... a lot of what we've been discussing this week is about theory, conceptualizing things, but I urge people to read the book, because it's so rich in historical data, strange anecdotes, and portraits of relatively unknown but actually pretty major figures like Alvin Lucier's physics mentor Edmond Dewan.  And I get the core point about the natural history of media, and the ways in which what gets called "technology" as a human endeavor, is necessarily embedded in these natural strata -- geophysical energy, electromagnetic forces, and so on.

I think Nina's point about understanding the purposes of different measurement (or notation?) systems is important.  It reminds me of something poet Chuck Stein said to me recently re. "object oriented ontology" and similar endeavors: that you have to understand what the purpose of particular arguments about ontology are.  That there is no pure onto-logy outside of different practices, ways of approaching the issue.  This I also take to be Badiou's position in Logics of World, as a (slight) corrective to his argument in Being and Event that ontology is mathematical. Even mathematical truth takes the form of different logics: algebra, geometry etc.

My take on non-sensuous similarity (and "The Doctrine of the Similar") can be found on pages 29-33 of In Praise of Copying. I wrote to a group of Benjamin scholars, including Howard Eiland, editor of the Harvard Benjamin series and author of the new biography, and he said there was no known outside source for the concept.  John Noyes suggested it connected to Benjamin's work on Goethe's Elective Affinities (which could be helpful to your natural history of media, Douglas?).  Mikhail Iampolski, whose knowledge of these things is always encyclopedic, said it was a theological concept, emanating from Medieval Christian debates, perhaps in Meister Eckhart. My attempts to track this down got me as far as "indistinct distinguishings" and "non sensuous sensuousness" (i.e our presence, being as a part of God), but if that's where Benjamin got the idea, saying "non-sensuous similarity" adds a definite twist to the theological idea.  In my own work, I connect it to the idea of sameness (sameness as opposed to being identical) ... which can certainly be interpreted in terms of physical forces ... or religious energies ... or ... see the above remarks about ontology! And that's part of the focus too of my recent work on drones, because drone music is characterized by a sameness which is characterized by pulsation, periodicity, subtle phenomenological shifts on closer inspection.  Benjamin has some lovely remarks re. sameness ...

By the way, I hadn't read "To the Planetarium" before -- what a fantastic piece!

With La Monte Young's work, I think it's important to separate the Fluxus period pieces like the butterfly piece, from the sustained tone pieces, and the work in just intonation.  Young's interest in sustained tones predates the Fluxus work (Trio for Strings is 1958, before he moved to NYC I think) and continues through the Fluxus period ("X for Henry Flynt"), onwards to the Theater of Eternal Music and the Dream House installations.

I feel like there's a lot more to say about different approaches to energy in the arts and in philosophy ... not that we're going to cover it this week, but that it's an important research topic!

Best
Marcus