[-empyre-] Saturday, 21st: The Disciplinarity of Sound Art

Kevin deForest kevin at lux.ca
Sun Jun 22 04:36:27 EST 2014

I'm also with Seth on the messiness of the production and reception of
art. The point of art is not to clear that up, but to exist within it. I
do lament to an extent the era of 1980's post-modernist and 1990's
post-colonialist theory that had a canon of theory that my peer group at
least was aware of and could converse in. I find the whole pluralist
prophesy of "anything goes" in a currently oversaturated information age
to make it harder for artists to have a common ground to begin a
conversation with.

With schools in Europe offering degrees in Sound Art I start to wonder
how the Sound Art discipline is being formulated, formalized or
institutionalized. My art bias is rooted in conceptual work from the
1960's from people like Max Neuhaus and Robert Barry, and currently I am
a big fan of Postcommodity, an Aboriginal collective of musicians and
artists that I feel importantly address issues of identity and
colonialism through many of their sound based projects. As much as I am
a fan of the "anything goes" principle, I still value art that is at
least cognizant of issues of contemporary art from the last half century
as much as it might be evolving out of currents and innovative new
technology.

I suppose my problem is more with defining the "art" in sound art, which
for some leans more toward technical and disciplinary mastery (and from
some of the conversation this week, the pressure to be "innovative"
usually in a technological sense).The ephemeral nature of the medium can
still provide critical reaction, cultural awareness and reflection on
the social as much as the physical space.I do however think it's
important to retain sound art as a distinct category that an artist
could fall in and out of depending on their project.