[-empyre-] Day 1 #2: Feminism Confronts Audio Tech - Gendered rhetoric

Lyn Goeringer lyn.goeringer at gmail.com
Wed Jun 25 01:10:42 EST 2014

In consideration of gendered interfaces and dynamic performance, I think
instruments such as the arp as a problematic model: these are largely fixed
entities. I am afforded a great deal of connectivity within the context of
the patch system, but the inherent structure of the system itself is not
capable of reconfiguration without severe changes.  The instrument, in its
natural state, is not designed for easy adaptable hardware, and it is only
through the use of a specific type of normative connectivity that any
change is possible within the states of the resulting sound.

In imagining currently existing interfaces that allow for different types
of configuration, reconfiguration, and assembly, something that would fit
into a radical queering of the interface (to consider the interface as an
adaptable space for a more fluid gender expression) I am actually drawn
towards considering the Little Bits Synth Kit, where the system is no
longer reliant on patch cables, but looks towards a system that can be
reshaped and reconfiguring by moving the basic components and building
blocks around.  The motion and adaptability of the system is limited not by
a physical object that was created by another person and shipped out where
I must understand their logic and design before I can adapt and work within
the original construct, rather, the system of little bits allows me to have
access to a greater system of adaptability.  This system also works towards
an ideology of equality and access, one that is all but non-existent in
systems such as the Arp, which assume a position where one must have at
least access (usually via financial means) to use the instrument itself:
without access to an institution who owns one, or without the money to
purchase one, people rarely will be able to work with an instrument.
 Within this context, we immediately begin to adapt to, or work within, a
structure of power that reinforces normative (and hierarchical) structures
of music making.  By disrupting the chain of access, Little Bits synth kit
begins to destabilize not only the privilege of access to electronic sound
production, but also enables a different gendered code through different
connectivity systems at large.  It also has the benefit of being able to be
patched into other modular systems, making it another way of changing the
larger systems at/in play.

I think it is powerful to imagine new systems, where the connections
themselves are no longer focused on 'tab A slot B' thinking: we are no
longer confined to the manufacturing morays.  Where Little Bits is not the
perfect solution, it does allow access to larger communities as well as
contribute to a changing way of having modular connectivity that is
malleable during performance.
(interesting thoughts, Asha! Thank you for starting this thread)

-Lyn

Lyn.Goeringer at gmail.com
www.lyngoeringer.com/portfolio