[-empyre-] Welcome to Week 2 on -empyre: GAMES AND REPRESENTATION

TR thetalentedtenthrealized at gmail.com
Sat Apr 11 01:40:06 AEST 2015

Alas, here's the end of my post: I think I figured out why it wasn't
going through.

One case in point: Ian Bogost's regular contributions to The Atlantic
on games. While I do not intend to single out Bogost, he is a
designer/scholar who is very much in the public view and I think his
musings on games help shape the terms of engagement both within and
outside of the academy. In his March 13th column "Video Games Are
Better Without Characters," Bogost argues that games (like simulation
games) that emphasize complex systems instead of dialogue, characters,
and identities better prepare us to analyze and engage with the
systems that inform our social and economic times. He explicitly links
discussions about representations in games with Gamergate
reactionaries, arguing that the people who are asking for more diverse
representation and the gamers who police gamer identity are operating
essentially from the same ideological base: an investment in identity
politics. He explains, "Maybe the obsession with personal
identification and representation in games is why identity politics
has risen so forcefully and naively in their service online