[-empyre-] Welcome to Week 2 on -empyre: GAMES AND REPRESENTATION

shira chess shira.chess at gmail.com
Wed Apr 15 05:45:15 AEST 2015

Thank you for your comments, Murat. You raise some valid concerns
about the nature of this discussion.

I apologize for using the term "AAA Games" without defining what I
meant. The term is an industry one used to describe large-budget
games, usually (but not always) for console systems such as the
Playstation, Xbox, etc. The idea is that these games often acquire
large budgets - often higher than films - and therefore get the most
attention. (For example, you hear a lot about Grand Theft Auto games
or Halo, but less so about smaller budget games).

This paradigm is starting to shift within the video game industry, in
part because smaller budget games (Angry Birds might be a good
example) are getting more attention and are making money. At the same
time, a lot of indie made games (the game Gone Home is a good example
of this) have created new openings for different kinds of players. In
short, what has happened is that the larger budget games matter less
than they used to and, in turn, the people who play those games (those
who are often referred to as "hardcore gamers" though this is a very
flawed term) have, themselves, felt maligned. (A problematic conceit,
I would argue, but that appears to be how they feel.) This anger
resulted in GamerGate, which has brought a lot of long term issues to
the surface.

In terms of statistics, most of the recent surveys say that somewhere
around half of all gamers are women (the numbers vary but it's usually
just above 50%). Bear in mind, though, that many GamerGate folks deny
this statistic, saying that it is flawed for a variety of reasons
(largely, that they don't count many of the games or modes of play
that many women are drawn to).

The number of women in the industry is (at recent count) about 22%.
This is a flawed number, though, because (as Brenda pointed out) it
includes anyone working in the video game industry, including
positions like HR.

I hope this helps to clarify some things!
-s