[-empyre-] Welcome to Week 2 on -empyre: GAMES AND REPRESENTATION

Murat Nemet-Nejat muratnn at gmail.com
Wed Apr 15 14:21:03 AEST 2015

Shira, thank you for your clear and succinct response. The way you describe
it, the tension between big markets (AAA games) and more specialized ones
is not much different from the one between big budget (Hollywood, etc.) and
indie films or popular writing (novels, etc.) and poetry, etc. Seen from
that angle,it seems to me the tension is inherent to capitalism where the
profit motive (selling to the largest market possible) is paramount, rather
than gender prejudice (unless practiced unconsciously against economic
self-interest) or any other kind of prejudice.

Or is it gender prejudice in the work place where certain jobs are not
available to women or to gays, etc.? In relation to this, Audrey made a
very interesting point: the split between humanities and computer sciences,
there being fewer women in computer sciences. Does anyone remember Larry
Sumner's comment that women are not good in sciences. There, prejudices
definitely exist. It seems gender imbalance is endemic in Silicon Valley.
Is it particularly, even more so in the field of digital games?

Shira did you say more women play digital games than men? If so, I would
have expected more games geared to "female sensibilities"  (as there are
"women's novels," etc.). Are there such games? Is there such a digital
genre? The issue of content seems to be very important in the discussions
here, but I am not clear in what way?

(Personally, I am not a personal devotee of games, digital or otherwise. I
prefer involved crossword puzzles. My experience of them, in the nature of
the clues they give, is that they are refreshingly androgynous.)

Ciao,
Murat