[-empyre-] Welcome to Week 3 on -empyre-: Internet/Online Representation

Anna Everett everett at filmandmedia.ucsb.edu
Wed Apr 22 02:02:00 AEST 2015

Ben, while I am not sure I have been "talked down" completely, your
comment provides fodder as I formulate more clearly my concerns with
recommender algorithms where race matters (not to dredge up that
current Cornel West and Michael Eric Dyson unfriending public split)
online identity, and ideology collide.

You remarked: "Does identity as a model become a caricature? In order
to be socially engaged online, do we unconsciously internalize these
caricatures and enforce them in order to fit the technologies we use?"

As I was contemplating your response to me, I was thinking that it is
not necessarily that I/we internalize the caricatures and enforce them
to fit the technologies, but more it has become the price of our
internet participation ticket, like accessing any software update. You
don't get to "discuss" or challenge the terms of agreement, you ether
"agree" or you do not get updated. And besides, who reads the
impenetrable legalese intended to ensure your non-reading of the terms
of agreement. Anyhow, apropos of your observation, I found this Huff
Post article quite pertinent:

"How Facebook Stalking Could Lead Women To Objectify Their Own Bodies"
<http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/04/20/facebook-stalking-makes-you-feel-bad_n_7100832.html?ncid=tweetlnkushpmg00000067>

Again, Ben, thanks for joining our discussion week.

Anna

--
Anna Everett, Ph.D.
Professor

Department of Film and Media Studies
2322 Social Sciences and Media Studies (SSMS) Bldg.
University of California
Santa Barbara, CA  93106-4010
Email:  everett at filmandmedia.ucsb.edu
Phone: 805.893.8706