[-empyre-] Welcome to Week 4 on -empyre-: New Media / Art / Representation

Dorothy Santos dorothy.r.santos at gmail.com
Sat Apr 25 01:24:35 AEST 2015

Thank you for the introduction and including me in this necessary dialogue,
Soraya. It is an honor to be in conversation with women I deeply admire.
Based on Soraya's introduction message, I'll share my recent work, my
investments in the topic as well as the key questions and challenges at
play.

--

When I first started grad school a few years ago, I genuinely (albeit
naively) thought that I would be looking at new media and digital art
through the (antiquated) lens of art history and formal elements (shape,
form, composition, etc.). Yes, I understand, now, that that was silly. Yet
the allure of formally studying art, visual culture, and critical theory
made me think of the traditional methodology and analysis. But I knew there
was something deeper despite most of my exposure to new media and digital
art (NMDA) a few years ago was primarily visual and interactive works (by
interactive, I mean haptic) that were rather superficial. As a result, I
focused on the use of the physical body as a site of interaction for
artists. I looked at generative large scale installation (Raphael
Lozano-Hemmer), augmented reality (John Craig Freeman), and virtual space
as performance space (Micha Cardenas). These artists, in particular,
brought up complicated issues regarding visibility and representation of
three marginalized bodies - the indigenous body, the immigrant body, and
the transgender body.

My current work entails text-based gaming (akin to choose your own
adventure books) to explore language as a third space to explore
experimental methods of writing and reading. I'm using the platforms text
adventures and Twine for the works (currently in progress). From sourcing
images to exploring different forms of narrative and storytelling through a
ludic experience, I'm interested in describing NMDA works in a way that
gives the reader a level of agency and choice. To re-iterate, this is quite
a lengthy project currently in progress.

Much like Morehshin, I'm also interested in feminist identity and female
bodies as a part of my research. But specifically in the vacillation
between physical to virtual especially since the gap between the two realms
seems to be narrowing as technology evolves. With advancements in the
Oculus Rift, projection mapping, and video game design, my biggest fear is
the erasure or eradication (or fetishization) of bodies that are already
marginalized. Writing is a huge part of my creative practice and I've
grappled with figuring out the language of observing, theorizing, and
writing about NMDA due to the domination of cisgender white narrative
within the discipline. In *Domain Errors: Cyberfeminist Practices*
(fantastic book by the SubRosa project - edited by Maria Fernandez, Faith
Wilding, and Michelle M. Wright), Fernandez speaks to the ideas of
difference and race as the most contentious dialogue among feminists. I
agree. Some feminists might even go as far as saying that there is very
little relevance because there is no resolution. I disagree. This
assimilationist approach does not solve or address issues confronted by
marginalized bodies especially with NMDA. This is an incredibly young genre
compared to the genealogy of other artistic practices and (canonized) art
histories. There is no better time than now to have these conversations.

I'm looking forward to the discussion that ensues. The works of my fellow
respondents push against dominant narratives (within the NMDA field as well
as feminism). The biggest challenge I face within these discussions is
getting people to see that race, gender, and class *matter* within this
realm of the arts. We can't continue to allow the lack of representation of
women of color, queer trans women of color, and people of color making art
and through their practices speaking to obscured narratives. I guess my
question to Morehshin, Claudia, and Margaret, regarding the dissemination
of information and net.art/Internet art practices moving so rapidly, what
are strategies to sustain visibility of these artistic practices (both on
and offline) to ensure a wide representation of artists in new media?

Dorothy Santos
writer + editor + curator
My bio lives here <http://about.me/dorothysantos>
Lines, Words, Places, Spaces, and Everything In-Between
<http://tinyletter.com/dorothysantos>