[-empyre-] empyre Digest, Vol 132, Issue 3

Kelly Norris Martin kellynmartin at gmail.com
Wed Dec 9 02:44:17 AEDT 2015

Hi everyone, And thank you Jonathan and Joonas for initiating such an
interesting discussion. My name is Kelly Norris Martin and I am also at
Rochester Institute of Technology. I’m looking forward to the Kern
Conference in the spring and participating in this current discussion,
although I've only just recently begun to consider the selfie and the
history of self representation in relation to my work with problematic
material monuments and how decision-making and discourse surrounding these
monuments can be so complicated.

The frustration largely emanates from publics with an opposing view than
that of the ideology depicted or commemorated. This dissenting response is
difficult to express in a satisfying way. People cannot really interact
with a purely material object on the same level as face-to-face
conversation or through written text and it ends up being a very one-way
form of communication. Discussion about these monuments may happen online
or in public address but they are removed from the material object.

Like Jonathan, I’m very interested in how Murray contests the purely
narcissistic motives of selfies. He argues  selfies illustrate consumer
resistance and I argue that the selfie allows for a greater sense of
engagement combining multiple modalities. This engagement is likely more
complicated and provides new challenges as Joonas points out because it
“entails a new language, aesthetic, and trajectory of communication.”

Photographs, like physical monuments, often don’t allow for real
interaction with the creator or viewer, but the selfie provides an
opportunity for the creator (sometimes viewer) to enter the discussion, to
showcase belonging and expression, within the same medium.

I'll stop here for now to try and keep this at 300 words. But I'm looking
forward to further exploring this idea of  selfies and connecting disparate
modes of existence.

Thanks so much,

Kelly