[-empyre-] old media cycles to new: Signal Culture and Jason Bernagozzi

Murat Nemet-Nejat muratnn at gmail.com
Thu Feb 12 06:04:40 AEDT 2015

"This points back into the issues around an artist exploiting a technology
(like a proprietary software app) while being in conflict with the dominant
system of practices around it. With the dominance you get potential access
to a broader audience, a potentially easier path to preservation, and even
the opportunity to pose as the dominant media while simultaneously
subverting its dominant practices."

Ben, your description above seems to fit perfectly with the position of a
number of directors (e.g. Orson Welles, Alfred Hitchcock, etc.) within the
Hollywood system or Ozu for instance in Japan. But, as I see it, there is a
contradiction in your analysis when applied to computers as a tool. Film
has a well defined place in society. One either goes to the theatre or sits
in front of TV or your lap top or your cell phone, you name it, to watch
it. But computers as tools are all pervasive, affecting every activity of
human behavior. It is no wonder the term "ecology" has entered the language
in relation to digital tools. Your idea seems to fit when working against a
language/style/convention within an industry; but how can you do so when
the tool in question is not really a tool; but a technological system of
thought, of calculation (algorithm, as I see it, is not a tool but a
system) that has incredibly promiscuous areas of application? Don't you
constantly have to create "sub-sytems" to isolate yourself, to gain some
air to perform your subverting act? In other words, don't you have to
achieve a certain amount of invisibility to function as an artist?

As usual, a brilliant post. Thank you. By the way, my essay *The Peripheral
Space of Photography* deals exactly with how photography gradually
realized, achieved its own independence in its early years as a medium
against the onslaught of experts, "art critics" who saw it as a weaker
sister of painting, consequently, as a medium of representation. These
presumptions never died down. *The Peripheral Space* is an extended review
(later published as a book) of The Metropolitan Museum exhibition "The
Waking Dream" on the first hundred years of photography. The curators of
this exhibition heavily framed almost every one of several hundred amazing
photographs in it. My essay discusses how these frames undercut and go
against the nature of the experience one has looking at them. The essay
discusses what that experience is and how it defines the nature of
photography as an independent medium totally different from paint. Here is
a passage from it:

"

   ... "Art," in capital letters, huffs and puffs all through "The Waking
Dream" exhibit. It reinforces the 20th century modernist prejudice:
photography is art if only seen as art, a visual art invested with the
aesthetic values of contemporaneous painting. This Talbotian prejudice
distorts the photographs, either in the way they are framed or selected.
For instance, why is Talbot the first major voice of photography? Were
there no other practitioners who were less self-conscious of what they did?

   My expectation to find, at the beginning of its creation, photographic
language in its purest form, was partly an illusion. This exhibit is for me
the story of a new medium to find its own language against the imposition
of a given one. The signs of this new language, from its inception, are
everywhere, and my pleasure is gleaning them out. By focusing on why I
liked certain photographs and others dissatisfied or annoyed me, I realized
that my pleasures had nothing to do, were inhibited, by the aesthetic
principles imposed on them. In fact, the description of these experiences
required a new language, paralleling the new language of photography. This
essay is an account of this discovery:  1) the forces creating the
photographic image are democratic. The photographic language lies in, is
created by the conflict, the friction between the lens and these forces. 2)
Photography is not really a visual/plastic medium associated, though
different, from 19th century painting; it is a medium of reflection
(reflection as image and as thought), intimately related to language.

3) photographic "seeing" is steeped in a Platonic epistemology  - seeing
reflected images on a cave requires a source, a numen...."

Ciao,

Murat

"