[-empyre-] Week 1: Intersubjectivity

george sabau george.sabau at gmail.com
Sat Jul 11 00:32:26 AEST 2015

*Interactive Dispositifs *

*New media *is a relevant, conclusive, and encompassing syntagm, although
an extremely prolix one; which is why one might prefer to think of related
practices as operations based on *digital dispositifs* instead. (I use here
the French term, rather than the English quasi-equivalent device or
apparatus.) In this regard, the term *inter-subjective *can only become
fully operational in relation to the term *inter-active*. Although
*interactivity
*is an essential feature of any given digital system, its meaning is in
turn contingent on the term-concept *interface*. As the *interfacing*
occurs between human and computer, the idea of intersubjectivity is
canceled out, since the computer, if understood as a digital entity, lacks
the ability to subjectify itself; however, as Agamben argues: “digital
dispositifs are before all else instruments that engender *subjectifying
processes*” (2010) in relation to users. Therefore, the most creative
contributions emerge on the side of the observers / spectators, inevitably
leading to *intersubjective relationships*, both as acts of reception and
interpretation, as well as in authorial-creative processes.

Even though the forms of expression that *interactive dispositifs *may take
are not manifold, they are nonetheless highly personalized; I’m referring
here to art works made on *disk *support – cd.rom, d.v.d. – which may also
include projections and displays, as well as *network *pieces – net.art,
web art – or analog-digital pieces, which would fit under the eclectic
category of *installations*. In this context, it would be hard to speak of
various degrees of *intersubjectivity*, except to the extent to which there
is a higher or lower degree of *interactivity*, which leads us to a *top
three *in participatory density. It thus becomes evident that a maximum of
interactivity belongs to Internet-based forms of expression, followed by
works made on disk formats, and by installations with fewer interactive
capabilities.

Certainly this “plain text” (I like it …) is based on a selective
bibliography, which is nonetheless also consistent with the exhibition
practices that have been at work for several decades in the kinema ikon
atelier.

George Sabau