[-empyre-] Week 1: Intersubjectivity

george sabau george.sabau at gmail.com
Sun Jul 12 22:06:15 AEST 2015

/ Comments …/

Part two of my intervention continues with a short comment to the
first half of my text… While Subject is an essential concept, commonly
used in conjunction with its counterpart, Object – Intersubject on the
other hard is only rarely used, perhaps because it doesn’t pair up
quite as well (sic) with Interobject.  One may also appeal to
wordplay, setting up the rapport between inter- and intra- take for
instance the pair Internet/Intranet; we can now speak of a link
between the two concepts at hand Intersubject/Intrasubject.

The term dispositif was used here in its French spelling, since an
equivalent does not exist in English dictionaries, having been
replaced by the term apparatus or device; although I should add that I
have lately noticed an increased use of the term dispositif in the
field of relationships and influences between art/media/technology in
order to promote a kind of unlimited eclecticism, where the exemplary
esthetic model is the installation.

I should reveal that the theoretical text that I have been working on
since 2010 and that I hope to complete in 2020 has as its main topic
the emergence of eclecticism in old and new media – here, I consider
the installation model as constructed through various dispositifs,
whether these may be material objects, artifacts, immaterial software,
interacting gadgets or subjects. Therefore, I speak of dispositifs as
those “minimal bits of meaning” which structure an esthetic construct.

There is certainly another theoretical possibility, while an artistic
practice already exists, where small analog or digital dispositifs are
presented in the exhibition context as autonomous works; we may thus
have enough reasons to argue for the framing of yet another esthetic
genre, which we may simply call dispositif – as one would use the
terms installation, sculpture, performace. Either way, the history of
art makes note of numerous such analogue or digital dispositifs – from
the famous triptychs from Renaissance cathedrals, such as the Isenheim
altarpiece, to Duchamp and his Rotative plaque verre (1920), and from
there on to the cinematographic dispositif, to video dispositifs, to
digital or virtual examples from the sub-genre of “interactive
dispositifs” such as The Legible City (1991) by Jeffrey Shaw, and the
many other autonomous esthetic constructs that are not parts from an
Installation.

George Sabau, multimedia theorist
July, 2015