[-empyre-] Technology and Boredom and what about literature?

Emilie St Hilaire esthilai at ualberta.ca
Thu May 14 22:47:46 AEST 2015

Hi Ben, I am responding, disagreeing, then agreeing with you:

"We are bored when we are simply not experiencing anything
beyond our expectations."

I felt bored yesterday when my reality was below my expectations. To
experience something beyond my expectations would be exciting, but my
boredom is more dependent on my expectations than on the world meeting or
exceeding them.

"I can see how meditation removes the values we attach to events,
thoughts, etc. but if we consider boredom as a state where reality and
exceptions agree, then it seems meditation would be an acceptance,
rather than 'antidote' to boredom."

I would say meditation practice and philosophy would shift values more than
remove them. An event could simply be appreciated differently, beyond
positive or negative attributes.
When reality and expectations agree I would be content, not bored.
Meditation as an acceptance of boredom - yes! To me this also qualifies it
as an antidote. Whereas a more direct 'antidote' would be to take up some
exciting activity, meditation could present interesting stimuli in
precisely the way you suggest here:

"I can imagine that meditative focus on self-control and detachment to
predictions could be an antidote to lack. This could be manifest by
shifting the level of abstraction in other other direction; moving
attention to smaller and smaller details that emphasize the uniqueness
of each moment and each individual."

On fantasy-
I would place fantasy in direct opposition to meditation. In meditation I
let go of thoughts, desires, and qualifications such as positive and
negative. In fantasy I follow desire and creatively pursue further desire
through imagination.

On the body-
I don't wish to invoke dualistic thinking but I wonder about the body, for
example during mind wandering, fantasy and meditation. During meditation
one should be attuned to the positioning and sensations of the body. This
kind of grounding seems to have an effect against day dreaming, by
remaining in the present moment. Conversely, during task-oriented behaviour
it's harder to concentrate when there is sensory stimuli presenting
distractions (pain or noise for example). Similarly, it's difficult to
enjoy pleasant sensory stimuli when the mind is preoccupied. I think
boredom is often the instance of a simultaneous lack of mental and physical
stimulation.

When bored I often feel the need to move my body around. The term antsy is
derived from the expression having "ants in one's pants" which supports
this need to move around when impatient. Movement can create sensory
stimuli.

Final thought: the German word for boredom is Langeweile which literally
means long while. Here boredom relates to time specifically, which we've
discussed a bit but I found this interesting.

Emilie

--
Emilie St.Hilaire
Research and Accreditation Coordinator