[-empyre-] Welcome to May: Boredom: Labor, Use and Time

Murat Nemet-Nejat muratnn at gmail.com
Fri May 15 04:34:56 AEST 2015

Ben, your logic is not rusty. We are struggling with centuries old
questions. Hume says there is nothing in the universe that says
logically/necessarily the sun will rise tomorrow, except our knowledge
(belief!) that it has always done so in the past.

On this belief/experience we build a theory of planetary motions, etc.,
within the framework of which the sun, therefore the day, *must* (logically
must) appear tomorrow. Our expectation within that theory is necessary.
Outside of it a belief system, one might call an empirical expectation, I
think, quite close to what you are saying.

A side question: since the sun rises every morning, is it boring? By our
discussion of boredom until this moment, shouldn't it be?

The words "justice"/"guilt" embody beautifully the tension between
empirical and non-empirical (open ended?) expectations.

Legally, guilt (justice) has a clear definition. If someone is tried and a
verdict is reached, justice is served. Then, one's guilt or non-guilt has
an empirical answer. But that does not necessarily answer the question, was
justice served? Justice is one of these loose words that may lead to
daydreaming, so to speak, to a daydreaming of ideas (metaphysics being a
kind of thought daydreaming).

My comments may appear off the topic sometimes, but I am trying to make a
point. I feel (perhaps I am being unfair) that the discussions on boredom
have been too result oriented, affected by the ethos of efficiency. Boredom
is a word like justice, becoming more complex (descending on the ladder of
abstraction), more ambiguous, less clear, riddled with exception the more
one studies it.

Murat