[-empyre-] Video Behind: On the history

Timothy Conway Murray tcm1 at cornell.edu
Fri Sep 11 14:01:17 AEST 2015

The screening list of the Hunter Show should be publicized within a week
or so, Maureen.  We're still working out some kinks with some of the
pieces and don't want to promise anything that the archived artworks won't
permit us to deliver.  But remarkably so much of this material is in
tremendously good shape.  I was thinking today about how relieved we were
with the arrival of digital platforms, thinking naively that they would
save us from ephemerality of videotape.   As I was reordering my
collection of interactive CD-Roms tonight, which I accrued while curating
that medium in the 90s, I couldn't help but be struck that the ETC tapes,
so much older and supposedly more fragile, all still run on standard tape
players.  The same cannot be said, helas, for interactive CD-Roms.

Tim

Timothy Murray
Professor of Comparative Literature and English
Taylor Family Director, Society for the Humanities
http://www.arts.cornell.edu/sochum/
Curator, Rose Goldsen Archive of New Media Art
http://goldsen.library.cornell.edu
A D White House
Cornell University,
Ithaca, New York 14853