[-empyre-] Video Behind: On the history

John Conomos john.conomos at sydney.edu.au
Fri Sep 11 15:02:45 AEST 2015

Dear Comrades,

This is my first -empyrean post so please excuse my Luddite clumsiness. Yes Tim precisely : for me video art conceptually and biographically opened up new horizons of critical thought dealing with the limits of representation, memory, space, erasure/cultural amnesia , old/ new media, time, canonicity, media archeology . I myself was very influenced by the French New Wave, "literary" video, Fluxus, etc. This also meant , of course, camera -stylo / "in-between" aesthetics, etc.  John Baldessari's prediction that one day video will be common as the pencil is now old news, but what lamentably remains for me, is how video art is still "new " news for the majority of our contemporaries.
regards,
John

Sent from my iPhone