[-empyre-] -empyre- September, 2015, Video: Behind and Beyond

Isak Berbic isak.berbic at stonybrook.edu
Tue Sep 15 15:20:19 AEST 2015

In the video work The End of History, I am working with transcoding footage
using analog equipment as a way to extract image layers formed when an
"incorrect"  algorithm applied to decode the image. To my understanding,
video contains a discrete images within the temporal and spatial domain.
However, tuning the conversion incorrectly (changing the intonation of the
image if you will) allows for peripheral /secondary images to emerge. These
fragmented ghosts are located somewhere in between frames, in between
flickering intersecting lines of information. For my piece, this
audiovisual space, suspended at the edge of erasure, the glitching
interruption as you termed it Kathy, becomes the source of meaning, ...
semantic rather than formal or technological ends in themselves.

When I think about limits of representation: my work with moving and still
images revolves around relationships between history, ideology and
contested histories. I explore the imaginary coming to terms with the
demand to visualize history. I often appropriate material that is close to
my life experiences, but at the same time I assume a certain fictional
distance in order to achieve a degree of openness and criticality. This is
especially related to images describing conflict, such as images of
violence. I am looking for methods to resists the power of depiction,
theory, and narrative as a way to probe the aesthetic limits of portrayal
pressing claim on our cultural memory.

Cheers,
Isak