[-empyre-] reply to Murat

Alan Sondheim sondheim at panix.com
Thu Dec 1 07:01:25 AEDT 2016

Ian Hatcher - amazing speed at times -

Rap lyrics of course aren't read; they're speaking bodies, sometimes
improvising, like jazz. And digital poetry can be at any speed; some of my
readings have been extremely slow. There's no definitive style to any of
this. At ELO confs there's a whole range of approaches, the same as with
any writing -

Good point.

Yes I have heard Raworth read multiple times. Its going against the grain
that makes his reading so distinctive. I did not say speed can not be
present in poetry, but if so it makes a different statement. Rap lyrics
also are read very fast, but it adds to their street sense. Speed, on the
other hand, seems to be the modus operandi of digital poetry.

Ciao,
Murat