[-empyre-] Week 1: Welcome Irina Contreras, Babak Fakhamzadeh, Huub Dijstelbloem

Renate Terese Ferro rferro at cornell.edu
Mon Feb 8 04:50:22 AEDT 2016

Welcome Irina, Babak and Huub,
It is wonderful to welcome the three of you this week.  Irina has been a moderator on -empyre previously so we welcome her back.  Babak and Huub are new to the list so we welcome them warmly to our -empyre soft-skinned space. Just a response to Babak and Ricardo’s first post and a bit or organizational stuff that should help all of you who are new.

I look forward to this discussion of the movement of the flow of bodies and also hope that we can talk about how networked media affects those flows.

Babak so rightly reminds us that this topic is a big one before our subscriber list this month.  Parking out single threads though will unfold over the month. I would like to make a few suggestions to not only our participants this month but also our subscriber list especially those of you who are new. In my next thread I will repost that information but for now I attache the biographies for our guests for WEEK 1.

Happy Chinese New Years to all of you by the way.  My friends of Asia have had a break for this occasion and we hope they are enjoying the festivities of this past weekend.
Renate

Irina Contreras is an interdisciplinary artist and writer, whose individual and
collaborative projects examine personal reflections of collective experiences.
Her writing has appeared in the anthology Beyond Walls and Cages, which
received the Association of Borderlands President Gold Award for 2014. Past
texts include the Lambda award winning anthology, Nobody Passes as well as
being a regular contributor to make/shift Magazine. She has held residency in
Mexico City and Kala in Berkeley, CA. Past performances include Rethinking
Power and Resistance in University of Texas in Austin, Chicana Feminisms at Cal
State Long Beach and the 2013 Ghetto Biennial in Port-Au-Prince, Haiti. Irina
completed a Dual Degree MA in Visual and Critical Studies and MFA in Social
Practice at CCA in 2015. Current projects explore the (im)possibilities of
white race traitors as a multi voiced and web based project entitled
"It's Firm Ground Here..." for the Organize Your Own Exhibition
in Philadelphia and ongoing web explorations involving public safety,
women of color futures and Twitter.

Huub
Dijstelbloem is Lecturer in Philosophy of Science at the University of
Amsterdam and Researcher and Project Leader at the Scientific Council for
Government Policy in The Hague (WRR). He was Editor of the International
Journal Krisis and is member of several Advisory Boards of Academic Schools
(including WTMC and IIS). He was Program Coordinator Technology Assessment at
the Rathenau Institute and evaluated Science and Technology projects at
Sci-Quest. He studied Philosophy (MA) and Science, Technology and Culture
(MSc) at the University of Amsterdam and in Paris at the Ecole des Mines,
supervised by Professor Bruno Latour. He wrote his PhD on the democratic
deficits in the political and the scientific decision-making processes at the
beginnings of the AIDS-epidemic, environmental problems and BSE. Next to
academic and professional publications, Huub is involved as a speaker and opinion
maker in public debates about science, technology and society. Some of his
recent publications in English are Migration and the New Technological Borders
of Europe (Palgrave, 2011) and Rethinking the Human Condition. Exploring Human
Enhancement (Rathenau, 2008). In Dutch his most recent books and co-edited
volumes are Bestemming gewijzigd. Moderniteit en stedelijke transformaties
(2013), Onzekerheid troef. Het betwiste gezag van de wetenschap (2011), De
Migratiemachine (2009) and Politiek vernieuwen. Op zoek naar publiek in de
technologische samenleving (2008) and Het gezicht van de publieke zaak.
Openbaar bestuur onder ogen (2010) published by Amsterdam University
Press.

Babak Fakhamzadeh builds  web and mobile applications, mostly for
clients in the 'global south', and mostly for media and NGOs. Personal (non commissioned work) mostly involves
projects around city discovery.  He will soon be releasing 'Kompl' http://komplapp.com <http://komplapp.com/>. Other  similar
applications include Dérive app, http://deriveapp.com <http://deriveapp.com/> and
Soweto Uprisings, http://sowetouprisings.com <http://sowetouprisings.com/>. http://babakfakhamzadeh.com/cv/