[-empyre-] detention vs movement violence

Johannes Birringer Johannes.Birringer at brunel.ac.uk
Thu Feb 11 01:58:03 AEDT 2016

what is "kinopolitics"?

just wondering as the term (referring to kino/cinema)? was not clear to me when I think Ricardo
first brought it up...
unless there is a link here to what, I think, P.Sloterdijk once wrote as a critique
"political kinetics”, kinetic movement of 20th century politics of speed and displacement,
war machines, etc
-  i think in 1989 he even spoke of a kinetic inferno, but I doubt that at the time he
could anticipate the current refugee migrations and displacements.

thanks for your reply Isabelle, I need more time to reflect, as I think
my question was really how the "camp" has been used as a metaphor or
as a symbolic system by philosophers and that is not what we were
talking about, and my confusion came from a sense of the romantic resistance
I felt you proposed vis à vis governmental / central policy of containment (which is not in fact
quite true for Germany,  I surmise, where regional administrations and help organizations
in a distributed federal landscape need to take often their own initiatives for help?); Calais
and Grande-Synthe at Dunkerque may be dfferent in that respect, but i visited facilties in the
Saarland near a town where I grew up and managing help was done through a mix of
local institutions and mini-NGOs, and provisions for sleep, care, food were not
left to "Jungle" self administration and done cooperatively, I wonder actually what
forms of governance or camp community formation happen under the circumstances,
and how different the anticipations or hopes may be (and Ana, your case back then surely
sounds as if you had been very fortunate).

I wonder whether there would be room here to also look at some of the incidents of
sexual violence, puportedly committed by immigrant asylum seekers staying in Germany
at the time of the criminal offenses (Cologne e.g.), and how such violence has been used
now against migrants by the instrumentalizing political wings and press.

regards
Johannes Birringer
dap-lab