[-empyre-] the mouth of Duck river / in the Jungle

isabelle arvers iarvers at gmail.com
Mon Feb 29 08:36:54 AEDT 2016

Dear Johannes,

Thanks for your feebacks on this ongoing project of documenting Calais
jungle using machinima technics. The camp isn't dismanteled yet as there
is  as NGO refered the case to the Conseil d'Etat.

Machinima usually refers to film making using a video game or a game
engine. Here, I am using a game engine/machinima dedicated software that
allows me to integrate fix images, create my own caracters (quite hard to
get closer to the real persons appearance) and direct them in a virtual
space.

The idea of mixing interviews and photographies in a game engine began in
Brazil last june, during Ruralscapes, an art residency in the mountains
http://www.ruralscapes.net/ where I was giving machinima workshops to kids
who might become farmers in the future. After the first day of workshop we
understood that story telling was an issue and decided to go in their
village in order to bring me to their favorite places telling me why it was
important for them while i was interviewing them. We ended with 2 spirits
stories, mixing pictures we took of all the places and kids interviews:
http://www.kareron.com/videos/

In Calais, as many people don't want to be filmed I decided to focus on the
streets and shelters as well as people's voices. That's why there is nobody
except people interviewed as virtual caracters..

My first intention was to integrate all the pictures I took of this world
city and to represent it through the game engine, while reproducing its
cartography and moving through it with the camera. I think it will be
present in the next steps of the project.

Looking forward your workshop in april,
Isabelle

[image:
http://www.isabellearvers.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/animLogo.gif]