[-empyre-] Renate Ferro: new project for 2016

Renate Terese Ferro rferro at cornell.edu
Wed Jan 6 03:03:35 AEDT 2016

Hoping that you will all take the time at some point in January to post a
bit about your own projects and a current biography in response to our
open call, Happy New Year-Who is ­empyre?

Here goes a bit about something I am working on now.

EYE SPY A STORM is a project inspired by a catastrophic weather event on
July 3, 2014 whose wind sheer picked up thirty large hundred-plus year
trees surrounding our home and acreage. The irrepressible, driving rain
caused the surrounding earth to become waterlogged causing the root
systems in the over-sized trees to literally un-plant themselves.  While
many of the trees were horizontal there were others who teetered against
one another like pick-up sticks. Over the course of the next two weeks the
rain and sun kept many of the trees healthy yet horizontal with teams of
birds, squirrels, and other landforms living a sublime existence amidst
the intense aroma of green plant life and exposed earth.

EYE SPY A STORM combines drawing and interactive augmented reality to
document this personal even but more broadly the impact of global warming
on the lived environment. At first site the over-sized drawings seem to
present themselves as just drawings.  Through further investigation the
astute viewer can use her phone to find networked hotspots allowing an
augmented reality tool to link to information about the tree species,
weather data, sounds, wildlife inhabitation, and more. The project is
personal with global implications.

I see the technology of the pens I use to draw with in the same way I use
the AR/augmented reality platform. If only now I can figure out how to
recreate the smell of the earth and surrounding plant life.  Any ideas?

Biography:
Renate Ferro¹s has been a moderator for the online list-serve ¬empyre
soft-skinned space since 2007 and its managing moderator since, history as
a trans-media, cross-disciplinary, conceptual artist toggles between the
creative skins of old and new technologies. Her hybrid artistic projects
embrace both social and theoretical paradigms of the body. Her digital
work has received fellowships and awards from New York State Council for
the Arts, Women Direct, the Experimental Television Center among others.

Most recently her work has been featured at The Freud Museum (London),
Nanyang Technological University (Singapore), Brief Histories (the United
Arab Emerites), The Dorksy Gallery (NY), The Hemispheric Institute and
FOMMA (Mexico), and The Janus Pannonius Museum (Hungary), Hemispheric
Institute and FOMMA (Chiapis, Mexico). Free University of Berlin (Berlin),
Chicago City Arts (Chicago), Tsing Hua University (Beijing China), Hang
Zhou Museum of Fine Arts (China),  LACDA (Los Angeles), AWOL Gallery
(Toronto), and numerous galleries across North America.

Ferro has lectured on both her own artistic work and emerging theories in
new media in London, Seoul, Istanbul, Pecs (Hungary).
Ferro has taught at Cornell University since 2004 in the Collage of
Architecture, Art and Planning in the Department of Art. She is the
founding director of the collaborative research lab, The Tinker Factory
Lab.

Renate Ferro
Visiting Associate Professor of Art
Cornell University
Department of Art
Tjaden Hall, Office 306
Ithaca, NY  14853
Email: rferro at cornell.edu
          http://www.privatesecretspubliclies.net
Lab:   http://www.tinkerfactory.net

Managing Moderator of -empyre- soft skinned space
http://empyre.library.cornell.edu/