[-empyre-] OPEN CALL TO OUR SUBSCRIBERS: What’s on your bookshelf?

Sean Cubitt sean.cubitt at unimelb.edu.au
Sun Jun 12 18:31:32 AEST 2016

on the table next to me: Arturo Escobar's Territories of Difference: Place, Movements, Life, Redes; Flusser's Into the Universe of Technical Images, and Ed Dorn's Hello La Jolla (considering whether to replace it and other treasured Dorn books and pamphlets with the 1000-page Collected Poems). Next to the bed: Finnegans Wake and Wallerstein's World System, volume 3 (nearly completed, volume 4 to follow).I'm so fascinated by the electronic copy of Enrique Dussel's 20 Theses on Politics I will be getting a hard copy.  Like many, I have a pile of manuscripts and PhDs to occupy lots of the available reading space: one from last year to look out for this Fall is Andreas Broeckmann's Machine Art.
Reading time becomes precious, therefore tied to projects, which in the age of automated search and recommendation destroys the serendipity of wandering through libraries. Thanks for this initiative, restoring the kind of centripetal inspirations we all need