[-empyre-] Welcome Kyle McKinley

Renate Terese Ferro rferro at cornell.edu
Mon May 2 03:17:33 AEST 2016

A warm welcome to Kyle Lane-McKinley who will hosting our next discussion topic on -empyre-, Social Practice and Social Reproduction: the politics of participatory art.  I heard Kyle speak just this past February on a panel at the College Art Association on Social Practice and Art and I knew then that he would make a great addition to our soft-skinned space.  We are thrilled that he has agreed to organize and host this upcoming month on -empyre- and very grateful. Thanks so much Kyle.

His biography is below.

Kyle Lane-McKinley is an artist and an educator in Santa Cruz, California, where he lives with his partner Madeline Lane-McKinley, and their daughter Tuli. Kyle completed an MFA in Digital Art and New Media at UC Santa Cruz in 2010, where he continues to work as a lecturer, research associate, and as associate-director of the Social Practice Arts Research Center (SPARC at UCSC). Kyle's pedagogy is informed by his background in worker collectives, popular education projects, and grassroots social movements. His research interests include theories of representation and reification, critical spatial practice, revolutionary feminism, speculative futurism, and counter-cultural history.

Renate

Renate Ferro
Visiting Associate Professor
College of Architecture, Art and Planning
Department of Art
Tjaden Hall 306

-empyre soft-skinned space moderator
empyrelistserv at gmail.com