[-empyre-] Starting the First Week / Valente and Ziyalan

Peter Valente p.valente.film at gmail.com
Wed Nov 2 22:11:47 AEDT 2016

Murat, I was just trying to designate a space outside politics where
sexual pleasure is not codified or politicized or reduced to fit some
contemporary theory. Perhaps this remains an ideal, especially in
anglophone countries. In the case of photographers like Gatewood or
Mapplethorpe, whose work can be extreme i.e. potentially obscene to
certain groups, it seems like political factions struggle to confine
it, find a language for it, and failing that, instead reject it
completely. That was the case with Mapplethorpe. I think, with regard
to my own photos, the image of a woman who makes herself sexually
available, i.e. a woman comfortable with her sexuality, is still a
very provocative image in the U.S.