[-empyre-] Starting the First Week / Valente and Ziyalan

Alan Sondheim sondheim at panix.com
Wed Nov 2 23:49:22 AEDT 2016

Times Square, sexuality, are always coded, at least in terms of ethology
and municipal policies. We're primates, not living in an uncoded world,
any more than any other species. And Times Square was coded in particular
through city laws and boards of all types; it's just that the coding
appeared like a release, more amenable.

Kristeva I think is good on this in her discussion of the abject as
related to a zone of body/not body and its problematic, in Powers of
Horror; that discussion is also relevant to these images. And aren't there
issues (or are there?) related to the male gaze? Every photograph is also
within and without technology? Digital photographs/reproductions _here_
for example, are doubly coded? We look online through tcip/ip and codecs