[-empyre-] Starting the Second Week / Adeena Karasick and Alan Sondheim

Adeena Karasick adeenakarasick at cs.com
Wed Nov 9 09:26:09 AEDT 2016

Well here goes --
some thoughts about play and power
on this auspicious eve

A Juiced-up Jewy Jouissance of Multi-Media Dialectics

If according toWittgenstein’s Tractatus, the rulesof language are analogous to the rules of games; and if for Lyotard meaning isconstructed through libidinous play, and for Baudrillard,the notion of the “real” is a play of simulation and images, media poetics, reminds us how communication itselfis a massive, multipart and global algorhythm a celebratory praxis of pulsing plays,appelées (callings), pulls, pliespliés of hyper-spatial interplays, re/p/laced in plaisir. For the past 3 decades,I’ve been consumed with a sense of “linguistic play”, a play that leads not to “paralysis” but –because each luxuriant letter, phrase, meme is saturated with ideological codes,intertextually drenched palimpsested systems, must be read as an ever-shiftingpolitical social or gendered logospace of ambi-valence.

Recently,I was working in collaboration with vispoetic media artist and theorist, Jim Andrews,using dbCinema, a graphic synthesizer, where 'brushes' sample from a set ofspecified images. Essentially using them as 'paint', they are fragmented,palimpsested, bifurcated highlighting the construction of memory, meaningproduction, the materiality of language and the ever-recombinatory swirlingnature of communication; forgrounding how language is always-alreadyintertextatically layered and proprioceptively received.

http://vispo.com/adeena/vic7/index.htm?n=1
http://vispo.com/adeena/vids/concatenation.mp4

Drawing on two distinctbodies of work, Salomé: Woman of Valor, (the libretto from myOpera; re-visioning the apocryphal figure through a feminist, Kabbalistic lens)and Checking In (a listing of fauxFacebook status updates), its seductive swathes of color texture, image typographiesare synecdochic of how meaning unveils itself as an ever-spiraling space where“Origin” is unlocateable; and everything’s a re-articulation of are-articulation, an erupting in an irrepresentable present non present orresonant present that continually escapes itself. And as such, puts into play a kinda Lyotardian dissimulation; alibidinous “freeing-up” of structures for maximum potentiality of expression; highlightinghow through a plurality of regimes, “phrases” maintain their own rules,criteria and methods, and how meaning-making is always an anti-hegemonic playof signification

As outlined by Avraham,Abulafia, 13th C. Kabbalistic mystic, in his Science of theCombination of Letters, we are instructed to play inside the language, using ancientpractices of recombinatoric alchemy; gematriatic (numerological) substitution, combination,and through lettristic “skips” and “jumps” slippage, meaning is infinitelyre-circulated. According to Kabbalistic thinking, we are “commanded to permute and combine theletters; focus on them and their configurations, permutations; combineconsonants into a swift motion, which heats up your thinking and increases yourjoy and desire so much, that you don’t crave food or sleep and all otherdesires are annihilated. And nothing exists except the letters through whichthe world is being recreated; through a continual process of constructing andre-constructing borders, orders, laws, mirrors, screens, walls; through acaterwaulery of lolling scrolls brawling sprawls of extracted maculatesbracketed tracks, hacked fractures.

And this play is never merely “free play of association”,
frivolous or free-floating but like in Wittgenstein’s Sprachspiel,
always already operates through certain identifiable structures, codes,logics, idioms.  And communicationnecessarily becomes a praxis of palimpsest and dissemination, generating acontiguous infolding of meaning –

Theseinfinite (algorithmic) openings, though overwhelming are not equal to no choice at all, but rather -- swirling through Hebrew, Aramaic, Englishand Yiddish, multiple creators, aesthetics, histories and codes, is synecdochic of howlanguage is always between multiplecultures and traditions, renditions and re-codings – how meaning slips betweendifference, appliance, appearance, and never possesses some portable anduniversal context. But rather as Wittgenstein’s description of a“language-game,” meaning “consist[s] of language and the actions into which itis woven.” And functioning through friction transgression, invasion,contradiction, ambiguity, thrives on rhetorical strategies of ornament andexcess, heterogeneity and paradox, hybridity and desire.