[-empyre-] Recent work on 'semiotic splatter' / introduction

Alan Sondheim sondheim at panix.com
Thu Nov 10 04:32:02 AEDT 2016

One of the sections I wrote in the splatter text is about the 'body of
Hillary Clinton' - I was referencing that. Years ago I developed the
notion of 'defuge' to describe what happens when a Barthian punctum seems
stale, when one tries to return to a novel and start over again a while
later - all of this in terms of the tawdry, exhausted, worn out, no longer
appearing energized. I feel defuge operated up until the election; this is
the result for example of the constant leakage of emails over a year - a
kind of battering paralleled by T's equally constant insults which could
never be answered - the answer was always already deferred by another
headline. I felt months and months ago that defuge and verbal battering
(with the promise and premise of physical battering as well) played across
HRC in such a way that her responses were always insufficient. I call this
a form of semiotic splattering, which is also present elsewhere - this is
the material in http://www.alansondheim.org/splatter.txt which I started
working on, with a sense of horror obviously, a while ago. Anyway, in
terms of empyre and this month, it might be relevant.

- Alan

==
current text http://www.alansondheim.org/ug.txt
==