[-empyre-] Recent work on 'semiotic splatter' / introduction

Murat Nemet-Nejat muratnn at gmail.com
Fri Nov 11 11:34:44 AEDT 2016

Adeenah Karasick sent a post to the list this morning. For some reason it
is not appearing on the list despite my different attempts. I am sending it
to the list through my own e-mail:

GRAB EM BY THE PUISSANCE

All through the nightmarish disbelief and utter delirium of yesterday,
I kept wanting to post something here, but it felt frivolous,
indulgent to be thinking about language games; about the celebration
of multiplicity given the very real effects of the duplicity that we
find all around us.

But, in the apocalyptic aftermath of yesterday, I am awake. And I keep
thinking about how language is entwined with being; (whether for
Wittgenstein, Sapir Whorf or Kabbalah for that matter), language is
inseparable from perception, cognition, behavior. And its very
renegade multiplicitous excess, (evident in Alan’s “splatter texts” or
Murat’s interventions, our multiple readings), it’s this very
Sprachspiel that will save us…it’s precisely through our attention to
these “games” that transformation and change happen.

If rules of language are analogous to the rules of games; ie if saying
something in language is analogous to making a move in a game, (each
with its own codes, grammar, relations, contexts), and though we never
fully know the rules of the game, we are always learning,
internalizing, and becoming intimate with a massive, multipart, global
algorithm, discovering is ALLEGO’RHYTHMS; simultaneously learning and
unlearning the systems, the codes.

And I think this is something that binds all 3 of us, Alan and Murat –
especially here I’m thinking of your fantastic essay at the end of
"Hamlet and Its Hidden Texts: Poems as Commentary in Murat’s new
Animals of Dawn (which was an amazing pleasure to read).
The idea that not just that the rules are infinitely changing but that
you have to go inside the game and change the game.

Adeena Karasickadeenakarasick at cs.com