[-empyre-] your language games

Murat Nemet-Nejat muratnn at gmail.com
Sat Nov 12 10:49:03 AEDT 2016

Hi Johannes, we are caught by seismic forces the power of which is
gradually becoming clear. I have some hints what they may be:

a) The neglect of the working class since the fall of the Soviet Union and
rise of global capitalism. For international corporation, in economic
terms, there is no difference between the price of copper or of labor.
There is plenty of both, and computers infinitely facilitated for
corporations of access to capital in any place where it is cheaper. That is
what I called the "darker underside" of the computer that made this
flexibility possible. Today every worker anywhere is competing with every
worker anywhere else. Proximity/distance means nothing.

Trump (and I assume Brexit) is labor's response to this condition: No more!

b) The United States is turning into a minority majority country, and, in
essence, the European origin "white" population doesn't like it. Trump in
that sense is a counter-revolution no one expected was coming. That was the
real message of "make America great again" or "we want our country back." I
assume (though I am not sure) Brexit has exactly the same dynamic operating.

c) Isis and the Syrian Civil War. The inflow of refugees from the Middle
East to Europe has acted as a catalyst to precipitate the counter
revolution I just mentioned.

When I turned the place of the human in a game from that of a player into
that of a pawn, I was referring exactly to these historical forces that the
discussion seems to be overlooking. Unfortunately, in my view,
Wittgenstein's idea of language games that became so popular and gripped
the imagination Western intelligenttuia the last to decades functioned as a
precursor of digital world view of reality --no reality exists outside
words, as no reality exists outside the screen of the computer, that the
language, phrases one accesses on line (phrases, ironically appropriated or
not) is the same language or phrases that people have used outside the gaze
of the surfer in their daily lives.

Ciao,
Murat