[-empyre-] Starting the Fourth Week: Chris Funkhauser, Sally Silvers and Bruce Andrews

Murat Nemet-Nejat muratnn at gmail.com
Thu Nov 24 07:45:17 AEDT 2016

Hi, Chris, let me tryl to tackle one or two things you are saying:

"Personally I see imperfect ion & failure as 2 different things: failure
implying having (set) a specific objective to achieve ( in advance ) & not
being able to reach it, imperfection means things didn't go as
planned/expected, perhaps as result of human error. "

But how often starting a work of art do we no where we are going (at least
the kind of work I assume interests you and me)? We evolve, basically try
to discover the work. In that way, intention is not a useful concept for
me. To me failure has to do with gaps in a work, loose or unexplained parts
though the work is presented as complete. In that way, failure is related
more to a lack of total answer.

What is interesting in what you do is that, while you "accept" the absolute
perfection of the code, a lot of the artists that interest you and you get
deeply involved with, including your own projects, are open ended,
improvisational, "evanescent" so to speak, such as Cecil Tayloror the
wonderful piece of music "Wedge" you linked us to in your post.

In what relation do you see the perfection of the digital code (its
"unforgiving" divine reality :) ) and your improvisational aesthetics? I
know in in your book you say that the poetry created digitally is
essentially ephemeral, and the artist must acknowledge it.

"I was thinking about glitch after my post yesterday, but even in something
that is glitch (in any form), the code functions properly. usually these
works are aberrations imposed by composer, hardware, or software. but it is
the surface that contains something unexpected/distorted. the code is *able
*to do what it is instructed/informed to do. glitch is a great cyborgian
form, whether intentionally created, or not.."

To me, Chris, the above passage reminds me of Medieval (Christian)
discourse on God and the existence of evil-- ☺

God's design is often inscrutable, but always there. Humanity can only
experience the surface --and sees evil (unexpected/distorted): "What is the
difference between God and virtual God?" "Virtual God is real." It's the
software programmer.

Could you elaborate on the following sentence: "glitch is a great cyborgian
form, whether intentionally created, or not.."

Ciao,
Murat