[-empyre-] Week One on Through the NET: Net Art Then and Now

Timothy Conway Murray tcm1 at cornell.edu
Wed Sep 7 23:03:55 AEST 2016

Thanks so much, Craig, for this provocative opening.  Our hope is to jump
on your question, "what are it's moods, textures, poetics,
amateur-hack-artist function, and visceral affects," to explore the
promise of net.art, as imagined over the past twenty years, and to discuss
its morph, migration, and flow into other networked (or not)
articulations.

One thing that propelled net.art was the conjunction of densely miniature
artistic forms made available by digital technology with the expansive
push out of the web, a medium for localized condensed expression from the
personal desktop for, conversely, globalized outreach and conversation.
Another of net.art's contributions was to capitalize on the accessibility
of newly portable and networked archival databases for condensed artistic
expression that also lent themselves to the formation of pop-up
international artistic and conceptual communities via the emergent
listserves, Rhizome and net time, and the online journal, CTHEORY, which
which I collaborated on the net.art curatorial project, CTHEORY
Multimedia.   Arthur and Marilouise Kroker and I sought out artists and
works that seized on the portability of net.art to fashion concise
conceptual and political statements.  Somewhat in the vein of agit-prop,
we conceived of net.art as a mobile form whose combination of crude
(Quicktime) and delicate poetics would summon the international user into
political and conceptual dialogue.  We hoped that net.art's visceral
affect might effect practical reflection on the discourse of the net
itself, from the digital divide and bio capital to digital terror and its
inscription in ethnic paranoia.

Looking forward to hearing more about Craig's thinking and hopefully our
artistic community will reflect more specifically on their own projects.

Best,

Tim

Timothy Murray
Professor of Comparative Literature and English
Taylor Family Director, Society for the Humanities
http://www.arts.cornell.edu/sochum/
Curator, Rose Goldsen Archive of New Media Art
http://goldsen.library.cornell.edu
A D White House
Cornell University,
Ithaca, New York 14853