[-empyre-] Wired Ruins: Digital Terror and Ethnic Paranoia

Timothy Conway Murray tcm1 at cornell.edu
Tue Sep 13 06:40:32 AEST 2016

Thanks, Craig, for sharing your insightful and provocative instructions
with us this week.  Yesterday, on the 15th anniversary of 9/11, I found
myself wondering about the relation of net.art and 'address' in terms of
the net.art project that I staged with Arthur and Marilouise Kroker in the
wake of 9/11 for the issue of CTHEORY Multimedia on the topic: Wired
Ruins: Digital Terror and Ethnic Paranoia:
http://ctheorymultimedia.cornell.edu/issue3/

Instead of giving into the stultifying pathos of trauma and angst floating
in the air, we invited net artists to claw back the discourse of the
network by addressing the critical paradigms sustaining our notion of
"Wired Ruins."  To do so, we sought out work that situated the
surveillance of 'digital terror' in relation to the paradoxes of global
"ethnic paranoia."  I still feel critically provoked and challenged by
these works as I look at them now by: Lewis LaCook, Davin Heckman, Dror
Eyal & Stacy Hardy, David Golumbia, Robert Hunter & Guillermo Aritza,
Horit Herman-Peled, Tracey Benson, Isabelle Sigal & Jay Murphy, Young-Hae
Chang Heavy Industries, Jason Nelson, Dirk J. Platzek & Han Gene Paik,
saibot & ssiess, Christina McPhee, Andrew Hieronymi & Tirdad Zolghadr.

It's still striking to me how many of these artists created in
collaboration, and in doing so, many were working across international
zones and datelines that challenged the veracity of digital terror and
ethnic paranoia: Lebanan & Switzerland, Korea and US, etc.

Before moving on tomorrow with this week's thread, led by Anna Munster,
perhaps it would be interesting if we were to hear from any of these
artists who are on the list, or from Craig regarding his thoughts about
his instructions retroactive relation to Wired Ruins.

Before closing, perhaps I can copy part of our curatorial statement for
this issue:

"Wired Ruins" reflects on the digital and viral networks of ethnic
identities that now so urgently emit faint signals for recognition among
the overlapping diffisions of cultural angst and digital terror.  A
vibrantly pulsating network resisting the repression of the new
censorship, "Wired Ruins" is a simulacrum of cross-cultural infection and
cross-border fluidity.  Reacting to the complex horrors of terrorism while
resisting the surveillance regimes of the disciplinary state, its
practictioners work passionately to reposition the power of the code in
counter-response to the aggressive parasites of religious fanaticism and
ethnic paranoia.  "Wired Ruins" will haunt the future [we hoped, and
perhaps, still hope] as the skeletal archive of the many unrecorded
artistic responses to digital terror and ethnic paranoia.

All my best,

Tim

Timothy Murray
Professor of Comparative Literature and English
Taylor Family Director, Society for the Humanities
http://www.arts.cornell.edu/sochum/
Curator, Rose Goldsen Archive of New Media Art
http://goldsen.library.cornell.edu
A D White House
Cornell University,
Ithaca, New York 14853