[-empyre-] Thanks to Craig Saper, and Welcome Anna Munster

Timothy Conway Murray tcm1 at cornell.edu
Tue Sep 13 15:12:58 AEST 2016

Thanks ever so much Craig for your final instruction on Rhizomatic time,
in which net time always seems to travel in the future perfect of the new
instruction as the repetition of what (might) has been.  We appreciate
your opening the our September discussion, "Through the NET:  Net Art Then
and Now."

Our featured guest for this week, Anna Munster (AU), is someone with whom
I've dialogued then and now.  Anna and I first met in Sydney when we
shared our interests in the baroque and new media art a few years before
Melinda Rackham founded -empyre-.  Anna has long been a supporter and
interlocutor on -empyre- and remains at the University of New South Wales,
where we first met, and which still generously provides -empyre- with
server space and software.

Anna Munster is a artist, writer, educator and an associate professor in
art and design, University of New South Wales. She is the author of An
Aesthesia of Networks <https://mitpress.mit.edu/aesthesia-networks> (MIT
Press 2013) and Materializing New Media
<http://www.upne.com/1584655577.html> (Dartmouth University Press, 2006).
Both of these examine aspects of artists¹ engagements with networks and
digital culture. Anna is also an artist, regularly collaborating with
Michele Barker She has worked most recently on the installations evasion
<http://sensesofperception.info/barkermunster-collaboration/#%C3%A9vasion>
(2014), and HokusPokus
<http://sensesofperception.info/barkermunster-collaboration/#HokusPokus>
(2011) using soundscapes, interaction and installation design to explore
both human and nonhuman movement and perception. She regularly contributes
to journals, writing on art, media, politics and culture and is a founding
member of the online peer-reviewed journal The Fibreculture Journal
<http://fibreculturejournal.org/>. Her co-edited anthology, Immediations:
art, media, event, with Erin Manning and Bodil Marie Stavning Thomsen will
be published with Open Humanities Press in 2017.

Renate and I are very pleased to welcome Anna back to -empyre- and we look
forward to benefiting from her discursive leadership this week.

Tim