[-empyre-] Welcome to Week 2: Kathy High and Lindsay Kelley

Lindsay Kelley l.kelley at unsw.edu.au
Wed Feb 15 17:18:45 AEDT 2017

Dear Renate,

Thank you for inviting me to this discussion.

Your introduction, your reflections on Beatriz da Costa's work, and my pairing with Kathy all remind me of Donna Haraway's remark that "interdisciplinary work requires great friendships" (Haraway & Goodeve 2000:126). Katie King also elaborates on "networks of friendship" and the ways in which friendships facilitate our thinking and making. I'm absolutely with Donna and Katie on this point--without friendship, there would be far fewer collaborations across worlds and disciplines. Friendship with Kathy, Donna, Katie, and Beatriz--all of this really matters.

I am in Sydney at the moment, working on a new project about cookies/biscuits/wheat and the nutritional landscape of colonial violence. A bunch of things keep me up at night, but special mention would go to headlines like "Milk is the new, creamy symbol of white racial purity in Donald Trump's America" (https://mic.com/articles/168188/milk-nazis-white-supremacists-creamy-pseudo-science-trump-shia-labeouf)--containing this gem about lactose tolerance: "Some white supremacists think white ethnic identity has a geographic, historical correlation with the body's tolerance for milk." I think a lot about how trouble with tolerance in the way that Isabel Stengers articulates it may or may not intersect with digestive tolerances, and if anticolonial ingestions and indigestions might produce a new kind of food politics.

Before my biscuit obsession, I wrote a book called Bioart Kitchen that argues for an expansive, even wacky history of bioart. I mostly write, but I make stuff too, which often takes the form of tasting events. I did one about humanitarian aid survival foods, one about tube feeding, and a few about Anzac biscuits, asking what national identity tastes like. I'm hoping to do something with fry bread in 2018.

I'm really excited to be paired up with Kathy! We had a fun time at an event Astrida Neimanis organized last year called "Hacking the Anthropocene," where she exhibited her "Waste Matters" work at a satellite exhibition with Perdita Phillips that we privately dubbed "Poo Circus." I had a cocktail on hand called "Faecal Attraction": kahlua, cold brew coffee, Benefiber, corn kernels, and chocolate ice cream floaters.

Seems like a good note to end on.

More anon,

Lindsay

------------
Lindsay Kelley
Lecturer

UNSW Art & Design
UNSW Sydney

Paddington Campus
Cnr Oxford St & Greens Rd,
Paddington, NSW 2021
Australia
E:  l.kelley at unsw.edu.au

Bioart Kitchen http://goo.gl/SJRdFn
@bioartkitchen
@extremebaking

CRICOS PROVIDER CODE 00098G

I pay my respects and acknowledgments to all Traditional Custodians on whose land I live, work and travel through.