[-empyre-] living bodies differently

Tarsh Bates tarshbates at gmail.com
Wed Mar 1 13:44:24 AEDT 2017

Thanks for the intro Renate and thanks to Paul, Lindsay, Byron and Kathy
for your fascinating discussions.

I am currently working on my PhD in biological art at SymbioticA. My
research is focused on the human body as an ecology. This project has
raised quite a few physical, metaphysical, aesthetic and ethical
questions, such as: how do we think of the self if we are multiple, do
we treat our bodies differently if we think of ourselves as hosts, can
thinking of ourselves as ecologies change how we treat our external
ecologies, how do the participants in the human ecology perceive their
ecology/environment, can we understand "what it might be like to be a
[member of this ecology]", can we understand bodies differently . I work
with /Candida albicans, /which is one of the species of this ecology and
usually much maligned as "thrush" or "yeast infection". I make artworks
with this yeast, using scientific and artistic experimental tools and
methods, for human consumption.

Although I am interested in the philosophical aesthetic tradition, such
as Kant and Nietzsche, I am much more interested in materialist
aesthetic experiences, in the sensuality and eros of encounters as a
more-than-human. Phenomenology doesnt work well for CandidaHomo
entanglements, as consciousness is irrelevant. Sarah Ahmed's
"orientation" and Karen Barad's queer performativity are more
interesting here. The two main questions I am working with are 1. how to
understand the other that is self - Barad's intra-active phenomena have
been helpful here where there is no ontological difference; and 2. how
to understand the "self-other" who doesnt have a face, who is not
similar. Empathy based on similarity or vision doesnt apply to
CandidaHomo relations. Bodies are all.

So here is the main point of my work, I guess: If bodies sometimes
irritate or kill their hosts, what, if any, response-ability (to borrow
from Astrid Schrader) does that host have to those bodies? If we cant
get rid of them, how do we live with them? Can we live our bodies
differently?

Tarsh Bates

PhD (Biological Art) Candidate SymbioticA, The University of Western
Australia

w: tarshbates.com <http://tarshbates.com/>