[-empyre-] Shadows in the Dawn

Alan Sondheim sondheim at panix.com
Fri Mar 17 08:17:01 AEDT 2017

Hi Johannes,

You say - "I doubt there is a global effect, as you called this debate --
that sounds presumptuous to me, arrogant, but you can call me naive, it's
just that i can't be engaging paranoia or apocalypse. You (Alan) and I did
moderate the debate on ISIS here a few years ago, and I think it was a
misguided debate perhaps (I had no direct experience or knowledge of ISIS,
so had to fabulate)."

Of course there's global effects; for examples - an enormous and activated
military - US troops sent to mideast - tensions between China and US over
N Korean militarization - blocked immigrants from Muslim countries - if
you read AAAS Science you'll see the global effect of the last on
scientists and research - the anti-Mexican and anti-Latino stance of the
US - heightened tensions with Russia - all of this plays into global
politics on many fundamental levels - the 54 billion dollar military
budget and Trump's desire to upgrade the nuclear arsenal; I could go on
(Amerikkka carrying its anti-abortion crusade into Africa, its climate
policy's potential effect on the world, etc.), but you get the picture.
Just as the EU and Brexit affect everyone - we're all in the same boat...

As far as the comment on our co-moderating a month on absolute terror,
Isis, and performance - at least for myself, as I wrote you backchannel,
I wanted to do that in order to listen and to learn. For me it wasn't a
debate, but a learning experience, and hopefully it was that for others as
well.

And the same here - listening, hoping more voices from around the world
are heard, learning -

- Alan