[-empyre-] A poem is a small (or large) machine

Murat Nemet-Nejat muratnn at gmail.com
Sat May 6 13:59:32 AEST 2017

"The imagery of mechanical efficiency and "perfect economy" is intriguing.
How might Charles Bernstein's metaphor of a poetic "engine idling" contrast
with that? (I'm thinking of Ming-Qian Ma's discussion of that idling image
and Bernstein's poetics as "postmodern counter speed.") What would the
machinery of a poetics of inefficiency look like?"

Hi Susan, Chris,

When Bernstein is saying that a poem should be like an engine idling, he is
saying that a poem is a machine that does not act like a machine. Isn't the
next step to say a poem is not a machine.

At the heart of a poetics of inefficiency lies a substantiation of
time,making time visible by slowing it. Time becomes duration. Duration is
against flow, i.e., inefficiency. My last poem *Animals of Dawn* deals
exactly with this issue by exploring the nature of the delays in *Hamlet*
in carrying out the avenging of his father's murder. Hamlet lives in a
different time dimension than the other characters.

Going back to the issue of modern architecture and Rem Koolhaas's *Delirious
New York* on the development of the New York grid and the building of
skyscrapers. One of the key points in the book is that one essential
concern of city planners and architects in New York City was maintain an
efficient traffic flow. The shape of the buildings had to accommodate
itself (like a cog in a machine) to the necessity of this flow. Poetry
should be against flow (clogging the traffic, so to speak) or, as Jack
Spicer's poetics of the serial poem says, writing should be "against the
grain."

Ciao,
Murat