[-empyre-] Podcasts and Culture Labs: Westworld

Sarah Mirk mirk.sarah at gmail.com
Thu May 18 20:49:39 AEST 2017

Hi all!

Why Westworld? Well, the reason I focus on pop culture on the podcast is
because pop culture is made of the stories we tell about ourselves and our
societies. Sometimes people are a dismissive of TV, but good shows and
terrible shows alike tell us about our cultural values. I think Westworld
in particular is interesting because it explores an extreme version of many
of the technological feelings we grapple with daily. How different are
humans from machines? What does consciousness entail? It also explores
larger sociological questions around labor and society. If there were no
laws, how would humans act? When we think of others as less real than
us—when they're dehumanized—how do we treat them?

I think Westworld also tells an interesting story about who makes our
technology and how their personal interests guide what gets created.
Westworld is a theme park made and run by men with money—and winds up being
a place built for recreational rape and murder. The show asks us to examine
who is in charge of both this microcosm of society and the larger world
beyond the walls.

Those are my initial thoughts!
best,
Sarah