[-empyre-] Introducing Machine Dreams Contributors: Ana Monroe and Jenny Rhee!

Ana Monroe ana at anamonroe.com
Tue May 30 03:51:26 AEST 2017

Hi All!
Thanks again for including me in this exciting discussion. I apologize for
my delay in reply; this discussion week caught me in the beaches, boulder
fields, and bogs of Iceland, where I was participating in an annual
feminist engagement with a small group of long time friends and
collaborators. Needless to say, while this this environment was
stimulating, exciting, and fascinating (we talked a lot about Earth
Sciences), it was not conducive to replying to emails in a timely manner.

I've often reflected on the humanization that people foist onto robots and
machine aids. I found this resonant with both Jenny's work, Petit Mal, as
well as in Margaret's work, Algorithm Beam. In the latter, I found myself
in the position of the poet. When reading, I see my child, my program, in
the work. I lovingly write the little, proscribed language that, when read
in sequence, can deliver to me a great delight: a red light, just as I told
her to do! A command fulfilled; I am satisfied. She's so filial, my child.
But in the moment following the moment of triumph, I find myself
disappointed as well: a daughter who only does what I say? That is so
lonely, so narcissistic, so limited-to-myself. I have never wanted a child
in my own image.

In my read, Jenny's study of Big Dog enters the machine-human interaction
into a couple ancient conversations. The first two in my mind are (1)
servant-master relationship and (2) the human-animal-civilization complex.
In regards to (1), if a person owns a thing, is it a crime to abuse it,
physically? If it damages the thing to kick it, or to drive it until its
parts fail, can the person be held responsible? Current society draws the
line as sentience, speaking to point (2). As an example, if a person drives
a Chevy Silverado until it comes apart, then it not a crime. If a person
drives a horse or mule or dog until it is lame or dies, then yes, it is a
crime. Big Dog uses reasoning so advanced that it could appear to be
sentient.  Does that advanced reasoning / mimicked sentience mean it should
not be beaten, kicked, or driven until it falls apart? I would answer no.
But my answer isn't couched in an explicit concern for Big Dog as
equivalent to a real dog.

It is, instead, couched in my concern for the human resultant from the
humanity that has most likely been imposed on Big Dog by its humans. A
human who finds that they have driven their Chevy Silverado to the point
that it comes apart will often express emotional distress similarly to
those expressed at the loss of an animal like a horse, mule, or dog. A
human who abuses a thing like Big Dog may not be hurting a real dog, but
may be hurting himself or others around him with his cruelty to this
non-sentient but emotionally laden object. A conclusion that then leads me
to reflect on the necessity of considering objects as having discreet and
staggeringly important histories, which which Jenny referred at the latter
end of her piece. Petit Mal was really such an interesting piece of
writing. Thank you so much for sharing this.

In answer to Margaret's question, my interest in robots stems from my
formal and informal study of (1) as an industrial designer, the
humanization of objects on the parts of humans and (2) as a historian, the
economic impact of technological access across societies. As someone from a
rural area, I can trace in my personal history the points at which access
to technology divided me from childhood friends, shifting the trajectories
of our lives away or towards each other. Formalizing this study during my
graduate work in Uganda, I find that one of the more understudied and
interesting aspects of the current technological paradigm is the uneven
distribution of technology - not just luxury technology - but work-a-day or
simple technology, across populations.

The practice of imaging the near future and its technological a-symmetry in
the form of a short story actually came quite naturally to me. Short
stories have often been vehicles for criticism and satire, and I explicitly
wanted to avoid taking on a technologically rigorous approach so as to talk
about the relationships humans have with each other, with non-sentient
machine objects, sentient beings, quasi-sentient beings, and artificial,
non-machine sentient beings. In the story, I wanted to produce a binary in
which two societies are tied together in political and economic name but
are extremely divided in practice. How will these societies use technology
differently from one another? What values will be foregrounded by
interpretation and how will those values differ across the societies in
question?

In contrast to this comfortable-to-me approach to examining these topics
through short story in my thesis, I found the process of choosing the
excerpts for the Zine quite terrifying. Because I wish to discuss things
that are not quite nice and because short stories are packed with topics,
cutting any one out threatened to deflate or flatten the story. I'm not
entirely sure I made these excerpts correctly. I'm still conflicted. But I
think that the practice of having to select was good for me in terms of
developing as a writer. Having to make decisions, to make cuts, caused me
to see the story in a new light and to choose to foreground episodes which,
in the larger structure, I could blend together.

--
Ana Monroe
www.anamonroe.com