[-empyre-] -empyre- a digital unconscious?

Timothy Conway Murray tcm1 at cornell.edu
Sun Feb 4 05:08:47 AEDT 2018

Hi, all, it’s very interesting to think about the duration of –empyre- and the particular intervention of the listserv.  Next fall, I’ll be moderating a month on “Duration: Passage, Persistence, Survival” in conjunction with the Biennial for the Cornell Council for the Arts, which I’m curating on the same theme.  While the CCA Biennial will be slanted to addressing the emergencies of duration now facing us -- immigration, ecology, sexual difference, politics – the notion of ‘staying with’ –empyre- over the fifteen years of its duration is certainly central to my thinking of the durational possibilities of digital communication.  One of the things that’s fascinated and encouraged me and Renate as she’s worked tirelessly to continue invigorating –empyre- over recent years has been the surfacing – sometimes almost out of the blue – of subscriber voices whose participatory mode has been one of lurking.   When this happens, it’s like an energetic spark that disrupts the comfortable discourse of –empyre’s-s more habitual participants.  Somewhat like the role of our accumulating archive as described by Theresa, these surfacings suggest, indeed, that the conceptual and affective threads of –empyre- are marked by both passage and persistence, and serve the individual participants in tremendously unique and particular ways.   Some of this is no doubt due to the listerv’s particular modes of address.  Unlike a blog, it doesn’t require polished writing and doesn’t wait for habitual users to call it up, but it summons and hails the participants through the antiquated mechanisms of email and impromptu thinking  to attend to threads coming into their boxes or to guard them as durational for later reflection if not dialogue.   Maybe, I’m thinking of –empyre- as serving  as something of a digital unconscious that can surface at any moment to intervene in our conscious conversations.  Just some thoughts jogged by Theresa and Renate.

Happy arrival of February (it’s cold and snowy but beautifully sunny in Ithaca, New York, today).

Tim

Timothy Murray
Director, Cornell Council for the Arts and Curator, CCA Biennial
http://cca.cornell.edu
Curator, Rose Goldsen Archive of New Media Art
http://goldsen.library.cornell.edu <http://goldsen.library.cornell.edu/>
Professor of Comparative Literature and English

114 West Sibley Hall
Cornell University
Ithaca, New York 14853

2017-18 International Sea-Sky Scholar, School of Architecture and Fine Art, Dalian University of Technology, China